Bonnie Bassett
Bonnie Bassett
  • Hinsdale, NH
Asked on Aug 18, 2013

Pretty plant may be a wild flower

Bonnie BassettDouglas HuntThe Garden Frog with C Renee
+7

I don't have a pic but maybe one of you might know by this description what this plant is called. It has fuchia colored flowers that look something like roses on the ruga ragosa (sp ?) rose bush but the leaves are very large and shaped something like grape leaves it grows very tall and wide. The plant produces red berries that are quite large and grow in clusters.

I'm afraid that's going to be a tough one without a photo. When does it bloom?

• Bonnie Bassett

It is in bloom now and has berries too

• There is Rosa Rugosa. Rose like flowers and it does produce berries. Is this what you are looking for?

• Bonnie Bassett

no definitely not Rosa Rugosa it has very large leaves that look like grape leaves and no thorns

• Bonnie Bassett

ty you Rhonda and everyone I will google I realize it is hard without a photo

The blooming and fruiting at the same time is unusual. Could be some type of currant?

• Bonnie Bassett

I found out by searching it is called a Thimbleberry bush!

• Bonnie Bassett

ty everybody

That's a new one on me, Bonnie. Someone must have planted it because I don't think they are native to the northeast. Hope you got to eat some of the berries. Sounds like they are a treat.

• Bonnie Bassett

well at the time I didn't know they were edible and my friend tasted one they are kind of mushy and on google it said they are better used to make jam but the flowers and foliage are very pretty. Also I think you are right about someone planting it to begin with because in that area along a trail on the Conn. River ,even though very woodsy someone definitely planted a hill with Rhodys ,hydrangeas, cone flowers, lilies and more and they have all multiplied rapidly .I even transplanted a portion of one of the beautiful reddish pink lilies about a month ago to my garden .I think I will trans plant one of those thimble berry bushes too!