Asked on Aug 18, 2013

The Dreaded Purple Dresser Makeover - More or less wood?

MamabhuffCarrie KrumrieDolly
+54

I recently posted a pic of this purple dresser/linen cabinet that I got a few weeks ago. I have been hard at work stripping, sanding and refinishing it. I know there are wood lovers out there that would like to see it completely refinished and unpainted but the client wanted it painted white with some natural wood. I obliged her but am not sure about the natural wood drawer at the bottom or the wood appliques. My questions are: Would you remove the appliques and/or paint the bottom drawer white? Or leave as is?
The "Before" Pic
The "Before" Pic
With appliques
With appliques
No appliques
No appliques
the dreaded purple dresser makeover more or less wood, painted furniture, woodworking projects
  • Larose LoganOakes

I love it with the bottom drawer the way that it is and with the wood appliques on the front knobs.Gorgeous!

• Liz

@Porta Verde Studio Absolutely STUNNING!!!

• Porta Verde Studio

@Liz Thanks for chiming in Liz! You know what a nasty piece of work this old girl was at the beginning. I sanded and refinished the interior of every drawer to clean it up. Too bad I didn't have room for it at my house. If I did, I would have painted it red!

• Nancy G

I think you did just the right thing!! I'm loving it :)

• Pamela Stenglein

I don't care for the appliques, they seem to distract from the beauty of the lines. I would leave the bottom drawer in wood grain. Nice job

• Veronica Patrick

looks great!

• Diana Addison Szurek

BEAUTIFUL THE WAY IT IS YOU MUST BE PROUD GREAT WORK

• Colleen

Like what you did to the color, but the front doors need more than the appliques.

• Pamela Stenglein

oh yes it does! In fact it, since you mentioned that, it looks kind of like the clock in the animation "Beauty & the Beast" (Cogsworth) LOL!

• it looks greta as you've finished it. What a great transformation!!

• Mssmatch

wow! Love end result!!

• Trudie Griffin

I think it's beautiful just the way it is.

• James Austin

Depends on what you mean by appliques..If it has real wood veneer on it,( From the factory) don't remove it. The veneer is a higher grade wood than what is under it. If it is something a previous owner applied, then remove it. I don't like painted furniture , I would leave it like this, or ask the customer..

• Rene

It would look great with the two top drawers wood and all the others painted. There would be more continuity to the line of the piece. The top two look nice because of close proximity to the wood top. I agree with the other person, lose the mustache. You did a great job!

• Dawn

It really is beautiful but I vote for painting the bottom drawer white and removing the appliques. Great job on it - I know that was a TON of work!!

• Kim Campbell

I actually love the appliques, and the bottom drawer in the wood.

• Phil Miller

I would paint it all white except the top and back splash.

• Txvoodoo

Leave the appliques! And I love the paint job, really. Just as it is. You should take my advice because it basically means you're finished! *grin*

• Txvoodoo

TRUTH. After you've been working hard on something, you ALWAYS see 300 more things. But if you give into that, you'll never move onto the next thing! And really, in redoing old furniture? There's no thing as "perfect" - and if there were, it wouldn't be as pretty and lovable.

• Nanci

@Porta Verde Studio That is so true, it's much easier to paint over something than refinish to the natural wood. People need to appreciate that.

• Txvoodoo

@Porta Verde Studio True!! I'm not a production worker - just doing a few pieces here and there. I'm still coming back from major illness & surgery from 2010, so basically it's sort of therapy for me, any $ I make being a happy bonus. But I'm with you - I can't stand imperfections that *I* cause. It's one thing to plan distressing, aging - but dust? Drips? Noooo. I mean, tack cloths exist! :D

• Porta Verde Studio

@Txvoodoo We went to Austin too and loved it there. My favourite was San Antonio. We stayed at a B&B near the Riverwalk. We didn't get to spend nearly enough time in Fort Worth but we're hoping to go again. It's always nice to hear that people are happy where they are. Nothing worse than living in an area you don't like.

• Txvoodoo

Yup!! We really weren't enchanted w/ the last place. Now, I'm just happy and nesting and loving it. :)

• Jan Elizabeth

You did a lovely job! I think I would vote for painting the bottom drawer white but leaving the appliques. (I scrolled it down on my computer so I could see it with the bottom drawer covered and definitely liked it better that way!)

• Jeanne Visser Tiddy

That is beautiful. What if you painted the bottom drawer, kept the knobs wood and the legs wood ?. That really is a beautiful piece of furniture.. Nice job.

• Chris B

I love it as is with the appliques, leave the bottom drawer unpainted!

• Lemor Sidis

I love the appliques but i think the bottom drawer can stand to be white. It will give the piece a more luxurious look.

• Sia@South 47th

@Jacqui L You are done! ahaha Leave it alone please. It's gorgeous! Walk away now luv, send it off to it's new home ;) xoxoxo

• Nanci

My vote is to leave as you have it. I like the contrast of wood and paint and think the appliques add just that finishing touch. How on earth did you get all that purple paint off to show the beautiful wood?

• Porta Verde Studio

@Nanci It was a nightmare! When I stripped the purple, it had stained all the wood underneath. Everything had to be sanded to bare wood.

• Fran

What a labor of love and it shows. The appliques give it a touch of class. GOOD JOB

• Liliana Wells

I would paint it all white and leave the scrolls. Great piece of furniture.

• Christine

I thought I'd check back on this to see how you did. Shame you had to waste time, wood and $$ to sand, but your end result is lovely. I also like the appliques! Thanks for sharing.

• Angela Bello

I love it! The appliques are lovely and even remind me of a mustache. I would leave it as is! Just beautiful!!!

• Dolly

Porta Verde Studio- WOW!! I love it. You did exactly the right thing with this piece. I didn't notice the appliques before or did you add them? Great choice though to make them stand out and staining the top and drawers. I'm a fan, a big fan who maybe "borrowing" some of your ideas.

• Carrie Krumrie

Love it!!! LOVE the title for the piece.... I personally, think, pieces like this deserve their own name.....my Mom had a chair, we called, Big Ugh!!! truly hideous piece....man bought it, loved it and gave it new life.....

• Mamabhuff

I LIKE IT AS IS. SO CLASSY