Monica Poindexter
Monica Poindexter
  • Kempner, TX
Asked on Aug 18, 2013

Pet odors in carpet

Bit By Bit ShopMonica PoindexterGranArt
+9

how do I get a strong pet odor out of my carpet
  • KMS Woodworks

we use natures miracle for our carpets. For or "rugs" I get them out on the deck every couple years and give them a good power washing http://kmswoodworks.wordpress.com/2011/08/01/why-the-weekends-seem-too-short/

• Monica Poindexter

@KMS Woodworks Thank you, KMS. The rug was in storage and the pet odors have just intensified. I will have to see if I can find natures miracle. We have power washed it.

• Teresa Buelow

well this works for me. i use viniger, baking soda, perockside,and dish soap.scrub it realy good ans try to rince the rug well,and let it dry,then put bakeing soda all on the rug let it stand for awhile the vac,it should work.

• Monica Poindexter

@Teresa Buelow Thanks Teresa. I will put it on the list of things to try. What is the ratio of these ingredients?

• Lyndie C

I've used this product on our carpets before: http://tinyurl.com/enzymecleaner It worked very well.

• PJ Peddie

rubbing alchol works great with smell but agree viniger, baking soda, perockside,and dish soap.scrub well

• Monica Poindexter

Thanks PJ. I may try that.

• Teresa Buelow

well it realy dosnt have a amount to use, but i use like 1/3 for each but make sure you use the vinger in last it will make the bakeing soda fizz realy bad so got to keep a eye on it..

• GranArt

When my dog was a puppy and had accidents the only thing that worked for me was BORAX. Good ol' Borax (laundry booster). Sprinkle right on the stain a lot to cover it well, let stand over night and vacuum the next day when you can tell it has dried out. There was never a smell or stain... Amazing stuff. My dear friend swears by this stuff for fleas in a carpet, too. Sprinkle all over, let stand for a few hours and then vacuum it up and empty the vacuum cleaner bag. I am not sure how safe it is for pets or small kids while it is on the floor...so use caution.

• Monica Poindexter

Thanks, Beth. And I have borax.

• Bit By Bit Shop

I just did this & it worked pretty well in my hall. I sprayed rubbing alcohol on puppy urine stains til wet. Rub with a damp washcloth then dry washcloth. This worked well but I still see a light faded stain so I may repeat. THEN I decided to try white vinegar in living room (same rug as hall). I just poured it onto the washcloth & scrubbed at the stain. That worked really well & I'm told a pet will not relieve themselves there again. Of course no good deed goes unpunished, I sat down to eat pea soup & admire my hard work when whoops! soup fell & went EVERYWHERE! Dog ate the peas & carrots & I got to scrub up rug with the wet vinegar washcloth again. No trace of soup on rugs. However I Just saw some on the wall, buffet & tv I missed. LOL Going to have to pull out a Mr clean eraser today! Be sure to try in small spot to make sure it doesn't bleach your rug. My rug is a light tan brown hue.