Asked on Aug 22, 2016

Cleaning my sofa

Abet NiezSusan FranksElizabeth Ring Smith
+5

My dog chewed a varnishing pen on my sofa. My pup is fine but our sofa in a disaster. I'm sure I'll still have to flip it, but does anyone know how I can remove any amount of the stain (& the smell) from the vision? Thank you!
This is a varnish stain on on my sofa cushion. The cleaning code on the sofa tag is SN or SW (there's a wrinkle on tag so hard to tell)
This is the varnish pen
    William

You can try blotting with Nail Polish Remover, Hydrogen Peroxide, Mineral Spirits, or Goof Off. Of course depending on the type of fabric, try a little on an inconspicuous area to see if any cleaner reacts with the fabric.

• Laurie
    Laurie

You might try using Purell hand sanitizer on a small spot. You need to rub it in generously and let sit for several minutes to know if it works. Key to this is the alcohol in the sanitizer but it will remove ball point pen, so worth a try. Good luck!

• Kathy Bitzan
    Kathy Bitzan

Can you remove the fabric from the cushion for ease in cleaning. Depending on what the cushion is made of could be a problem also. But trying any of the above might work. Fabrics these days are not what we think they are. So much plastic is used and other mixtures with the different blends.

• Linda Wilson-Smith
    Linda Wilson-Smith

I mix hydrogen peroxide and white vinegar, 50/50, in a spray bottle for most all stains. My carpet in an oyster shell white and it has taken all kinds of stains out (and smell too).

• IFortuna
    IFortuna

If it is on just the cushion, I would take the cushion in to a professional dry cleaner. If they mess it up they pay, if you mess it up, your stuck with it. : )

• Elizabeth Ring Smith
    Elizabeth Ring Smith

I used goof off. Definitely not perfect but atleast most of the smell is gone! Thanks for all the great advice

• Susan Franks
    Susan Franks

Believe it or not Windex works on things you wouldn't believe. If you try a little on a small spot. Let it sit for a minute, then gently dab with a sponge. It might just work and it sure is cheap. lol

• Abet Niez
    Abet Niez

My sofa bed is made of fabric and it is not removable, it is now dark in color.i want to clean it but i don't know how?