Sandy Bowlin
Sandy Bowlin
  • Gilbertsville, KY
Asked on Aug 19, 2013

Planting Seeds

Sandy Bowlin360 Sod (Donna Dixson)Douglas Hunt
+7

I have flower seeds from this year and last year, some are from my friends. I've never planted flower seeds before, so my question is, should I plant these now for next year or wait until next spring and do I start them in the house in trays or can I put them directly into the ground? They are dried already. Any information would help me tremendously, thank you.

The rules for each flower are different, Sandy. If you tell us which ones you have, we can provide some guidelines.

• Sandy Bowlin

Now I'm in trouble, I have no idea what these are, so I guess I'll just plant some now and save some of the same for the spring. Thank you Douglas!

• Sandy Bowlin

I sure will, but you mean "if" they come up don't you? LOL I know, I'll try to be more positive! Thanks Douglas!

• Sandy Bowlin

Meanwhile, here are some pictures from my yard. Hopefully I'll have more flowers next year. For some reason, of which I'm not sure, Some of the flowers I've planted didn't come up this year. I wonder if there are bi annual flower plants, where they only come up once every two years? I have some here too I have to keep pulling out because they take up way too much room.

planting seeds, flowers, gardening, A beautiful sunflower came up where we have our bird feeder Imagine thatplanting seeds, flowers, gardening, Found a Passion Flower in our ditch out front so dug it up and moved it to the back fence Sheeze it s really growing and growing and growingplanting seeds, flowers, gardening, Passion Flower sidewaysplanting seeds, flowers, gardening, Lots of little birdies were born hereplanting seeds, flowers, gardening, My friend gave me a start of her Japanese Maple It s growing slowly but at least it s still growing Thank you God
  • See More

@Sandy Bowlin You have some lovely flowers. I think you have the wrong idea about biennials, though. It's not that they come up every other year. It's that it takes two years for the plant to complete its life cycle, producing roots and foliage the first year, going dormant over the winter, then flowering the second year. The most common biennial I can think of is the hollyhock.

• 360 Sod (Donna Dixson)

How can anyone stay sad when they look at a sunflower? They are put on earth to make us smile!

• Sandy Bowlin

Isn't that the truth Donna. I was so happy to see them come up and I'm sure I'll get more next yr. also.

• Sandy Bowlin

Thank you again Douglas, for explaining about the biennials. I was thinking totally wrong, now I know. It takes awhile to figure all this out, but I love flowers and hopefully will be able to grow more every year!

• Your comment...