DIY Pet Feeding Station (Dresser Makeover)

Turn an old dresser into a pet feeding station! It’s easy and keeps your pet’s area nice and neat!
diy pet feeding station dresser makeover , how to, painted furniture, pets, pets animals, repurposing upcycling, reupholster
This project started with an old dresser that didn't have much use any more!
First thing was to decide what drawers were staying and which I was going to remove. Then I removed all the unnecessary pieces. Then I made any necessary repairs and thoroughly cleaned it! Then it was time to paint!
After everything was deconstructed and cleaned up it was time to paint! I used two coats of chalk paint followed by two coats of wax. Then it was time to build a shelf to hold the food and water bowls. Using a piece of particle board I traced around a plate the size of the bowls interior.
Next, using a scroll saw I cut out holes where the bowls go. After I cut them out it was time to cover the shelf. I chose to cover the shelf holding the bowls with a vinyl table-cloth so that I could easily wipe the area around them/ Alternately you could paint it, the choice is yours.
After covering the shelf you'll want to cut out holes where the bowls will go! Now its time to make a bin to hold the food. Now it would have been terribly convenient if I could have found a nice plastic tote that would have fit perfectly in the drawer… but I didn’t. So I cut one to fit. First I traced the edges with a sharpie then used a hacksaw to cut through it.
Once your finished it's time to put it all together! Put the plastic tote in the drawer and fill it with food, I left space for other pet items to store everything all in one place!
Slide the drawer in place, sit the shelf in place and then insert the bowls!
And your finished! A beautiful and functional piece for your home and pets! Make sure to check out the whole, more detailed, tutorial on my blog!

• Dressser
  • Chalk Paint
  • Chalk Paint Wax

Far From Normal

• Jay

What did you use to clean the wood please? I need something strong, but gentle to my bands & the enviorment. Thank you

• Vicki

I had surprisingly good results with wiping out an old dresser with a damp cloth soaked in vinegar & water. Sorry, I just guessed at the proportions so I'm not sure what the amounts were. I knew it needed to be strong enough to allow the vinegar to 'kill' the mold etc., but I didn't want to have an over-powering vinegar smell left over either. My guess is that I simply used my nose when adding vinegar to a spray bottle 1/2 full of water and stopped adding vinegar just short of the vinegar smell becoming "too strong". Sorry this is so vague. If it helps, think about me doing this INSIDE m bedroom ON the carpet (which was ok for me but it could have been disastrous, so I don't recommend!) Once it dried the musty smell was gone, as was the smell of vinegar! DO try it. I was amazed that the results were quick, easy and successful!

• Augie snyder

you might put an airtight lid on the food storage. oxygenation​ destroys the food value and very quickly.

• Alanna

This is awesome. I have two cats and one always likes to sit and eat higher up than his brother. I don't leave food out all day....they get fed once in the morning and once in the evening. This is a great way to reuse a piece of furniture. Thanks for the smart idea.