Brenda Wiegand
Brenda Wiegand
  • Hemlock, MI

Shrub Roses: Add Carefree Color to Your Garden

Every gardener's dream is ongoing color, continuous blooms, and easy care maintenance. If you are looking for a shrub that will provide all that, check out the Knock-Out Rose or Nearly Wild Rose.These shrub roses are hardy to zone 4, somewhat carefree, and easy to maintain. You just can't go wrong! Read more about them in my blog, http://ontherightpathgardening.blogspot.com/2013/08/shub-roses-repeat-blooming-nearly-wild.html, with links and info, to help you decide which you will love best!
Knock-Out Rose in double red. They never need deadheading though you can to encourage growth. These shrub roses bloom from May through Oct.
Nearly Wild Pink Shrub Rose, hardy til zone 4, this shrub rose, will brighten your garden all-season long!
The Knock-Out Roses here are single second year plants. They doubled in size in just one year.
Another view of how I used the double red Knock-Out in my landscape.

Brenda Wiegand

• 360 Sod (Donna Dixson)

The Knock Out Roses will get about 5ft x 5ft here if you don't keep them in check. I am really liking the new Drift Roses over the Nearly Wild rose. They follow suit on the Knock out with less spraying and no dead heading The nearly wild is an older variety and does require spraying to keep the black spot from denuding them. The drifts are truly a ground cover rose and come in an array of beautiful colors. I have been utilizing them in my designs and couldn't be happier with a rose. They are also fragrant, or at least some of the colors are.

• 360 Sod (Donna Dixson)

It looks like a Nearly Wild in your picture, light pink, single bloom. That is the prettiest one I have ever seen and hopefully it will stay that way for you.