Turn Plastic Plant Pots Into Beautiful Painted Lace Decoupage Décor

A while ago I purchased some plant pots for a DIY project I had in mind. The project did not work out. Sometimes that happens. I was now stuck with these inexpensive plant pots that frankly, looked like they were inexpensive. You know the kind. They are made of plastic, come in basic colours like black, brown and in this case a fake looking terracotta colour.
I was not going to use these pots the way they looked. So my choices were to donate them or make them into something more attractive and usable. I chose to give them a makeover that was easy and fun to create. I was also thrilled with how beautiful they look now! This time this DIY project did turn out!
The first thing I did was give the plant pots two light coats of a spray primer. This step is really important because it gives a nice base on the plastic for the paint to adhere to.
The next thing I did was apply two coats of one of my favourite paint colours. It is Liberty Blue by Fusion Mineral Paint. It is a very deep intense colour and fabulous to work with.
Then I used Mod Podge to apply white cotton lace just under the rim of each plant pot with a foam brush.
The final step was to cover the top of the lace and the rest of the plant pot with another layer of Mod Podge. This step seals the lace and the paint by giving it a protective cover.
I am using the newly styled plant pots on our covered outdoor patio but I think they will also look gorgeous on a covered porch. They really add a gorgeous pop of colour. I also think the blue and white plant pots will complement any colour of flowering plant whether it is spring, summer or fall.
I planted some pink/purple coloured fall mums in them for the fall season. The flowers look so much more beautiful planted in these painted lace decoupage plant pots compared to how they used to look!
For more details and photographs I invite you to visit my blog at 'Time with Thea'! The link is just below!
What colour would you paint your plastic plant pots? What kind of flowers would you plant in them?

• Plastic plant pots  (dollar store)
  • Kilz Spray Primer  (Home Depot)
  • Liberty Blue Paint  (Fusion Mineral Paints)

The Best Industrial Style DIY Ideas For Your Home Using Pipes
Upgrade Your Backyard With These 30 Clever Ideas
15 Bathroom Upgrades That You Can Totally DIY
Beautify Your Home With These Flower Ideas
Use Ribbon To Decorate For Christmas With These Last Minute Ideas!
31 Storage Hacks That Will Instantly Declutter Your Kitchen
30 Jaw-Dropping Decorating Techniques You've Never Seen Before
15 Totally Doable Makeover Ideas You Can Finish In One Day
26 Adorable Ornament Ideas to Get You REALLY Excited for Christmas
3 Gorgeous Decor Projects In The Oh-So-Chic Geometric Style
30 Jewelry Organizing Ideas That Are Better Than a Jewelry Box
Time With Thea

• Chris

Did you have to seal it with anything to weather proof the pot or does the modge podge become water resistant?

• Teresa Beard

I was watching a video with modge podge fabric to terrica pots. And she was useing outdoors modge podge. Have never seen before. Will b looking for that great tip.

• Jay Williams

Is the blue paint a spray paint?

• Time With Thea

No, the blue paint is not a spray paint. If you want to check it the Fusion Mineral Paint website is the place to go. The paint colour is Liberty Blue.

• Emmanuelle

Hi i really love your project I only have a question -somebody commented on this side in another post about painting pots -they can transfer some bad things from the paint into the flowers what do you think -personally I do not think the quimics on the paint can harm the pants what your opinion are you plants ok are they growing??thanks wonderful pots

• Cyndi

I have not had a problem with plastic. But, I've had problems with some Terra Cotta.... I've been using non scented bags or grocery bags.... Seems to work out well for me.

• Ele28097682

I'm so inspired and interested to make it in the future :) thanks.

• Marge

I absolutely will at the end of last year I bought some pots on sale and although they're not really ugly they're not really great so I would definitely try this! What a great idea