Turn Plastic Plant Pots Into Beautiful Painted Lace Decoupage Décor

377K Views
A while ago I purchased some plant pots for a DIY project I had in mind. The project did not work out. Sometimes that happens. I was now stuck with these inexpensive plant pots that frankly, looked like they were inexpensive. You know the kind. They are made of plastic, come in basic colours like black, brown and in this case a fake looking terracotta colour.
Difficulty: Easy
  • turn plastic plant pots into beautiful painted lace decoupage d cor, container gardening, crafts, decoupage, gardening, painting
I was not going to use these pots the way they looked. So my choices were to donate them or make them into something more attractive and usable. I chose to give them a makeover that was easy and fun to create. I was also thrilled with how beautiful they look now! This time this DIY project did turn out!
The first thing I did was give the plant pots two light coats of a spray primer. This step is really important because it gives a nice base on the plastic for the paint to adhere to.
The next thing I did was apply two coats of one of my favourite paint colours. It is Liberty Blue by Fusion Mineral Paint. It is a very deep intense colour and fabulous to work with.
Then I used Mod Podge to apply white cotton lace just under the rim of each plant pot with a foam brush.
The final step was to cover the top of the lace and the rest of the plant pot with another layer of Mod Podge. This step seals the lace and the paint by giving it a protective cover.
I am using the newly styled plant pots on our covered outdoor patio but I think they will also look gorgeous on a covered porch. They really add a gorgeous pop of colour. I also think the blue and white plant pots will complement any colour of flowering plant whether it is spring, summer or fall.
I planted some pink/purple coloured fall mums in them for the fall season. The flowers look so much more beautiful planted in these painted lace decoupage plant pots compared to how they used to look!
For more details and photographs I invite you to visit my blog at 'Time with Thea'! The link is just below!
What colour would you paint your plastic plant pots? What kind of flowers would you plant in them?

Suggested materials for this project:

• Plastic plant pots  (dollar store)
  • Kilz Spray Primer  (Home Depot)
  • Liberty Blue Paint  (Fusion Mineral Paints)
Time With Thea