Turn Plastic Plant Pots Into Beautiful Painted Lace Decoupage Décor

A while ago I purchased some plant pots for a DIY project I had in mind. The project did not work out. Sometimes that happens. I was now stuck with these inexpensive plant pots that frankly, looked like they were inexpensive. You know the kind. They are made of plastic, come in basic colours like black, brown and in this case a fake looking terracotta colour.
turn plastic plant pots into beautiful painted lace decoupage d cor, container gardening, crafts, decoupage, gardening, painting
I was not going to use these pots the way they looked. So my choices were to donate them or make them into something more attractive and usable. I chose to give them a makeover that was easy and fun to create. I was also thrilled with how beautiful they look now! This time this DIY project did turn out!
The first thing I did was give the plant pots two light coats of a spray primer. This step is really important because it gives a nice base on the plastic for the paint to adhere to.
The next thing I did was apply two coats of one of my favourite paint colours. It is Liberty Blue by Fusion Mineral Paint. It is a very deep intense colour and fabulous to work with.
Then I used Mod Podge to apply white cotton lace just under the rim of each plant pot with a foam brush.
The final step was to cover the top of the lace and the rest of the plant pot with another layer of Mod Podge. This step seals the lace and the paint by giving it a protective cover.
I am using the newly styled plant pots on our covered outdoor patio but I think they will also look gorgeous on a covered porch. They really add a gorgeous pop of colour. I also think the blue and white plant pots will complement any colour of flowering plant whether it is spring, summer or fall.
I planted some pink/purple coloured fall mums in them for the fall season. The flowers look so much more beautiful planted in these painted lace decoupage plant pots compared to how they used to look!
For more details and photographs I invite you to visit my blog at 'Time with Thea'! The link is just below!
What colour would you paint your plastic plant pots? What kind of flowers would you plant in them?

• Plastic plant pots  (dollar store)
  • Kilz Spray Primer  (Home Depot)
  • Liberty Blue Paint  (Fusion Mineral Paints)
Time With Thea

• Jennifer

Oh my.... I am in LOVE with this color as well. I am not familiar with fusion mineral paint? I will have to look it up. I hope it is easy to find. I am doing this! Quick question, Is it ok to plant plants in plastic pots? Do i need to drill a hole in bottom? I obviously am plant ignorant? One more question, is it a spray paint? I wonder if it would work on an old white wicker chair? Hmmmm?

• Mary

Fusion paint is great,used it for many years all colors, I mostly used the one for plastic just great results,good luck

• Chris

Did you have to seal it with anything to weather proof the pot or does the modge podge become water resistant?

• Anna

This is so darling! I want to mention, one rule of thumb, just so nobody runs into unnecessary trouble. Modge Podge is water based (last time I checked). The rule, never paint water based over oil based (oil base is any paint that requires paint thinner for clean up). This applies if someone might want to "spray paint" their pot. It's quick & easy, but you won't get the warmth of the brush marks... & I recommend checking with "Modge Podge", to see what they recommend. Ps: the rule goes both ways, water won't stick to oil, BUT a good oil, will stick to almost anything. No, I'm not a know-it-all, just old, & learned everything the hard way. Happy Crafting:)

• Jay Williams

Is the blue paint a spray paint?

• Time With Thea

No, the blue paint is not a spray paint. If you want to check it the Fusion Mineral Paint website is the place to go. The paint colour is Liberty Blue.

• Cw

Beautiful! I did this, too, but used several layers of Mod Podge over the lace, then painted it with acrylic hobby paint in the same color as the pot to make it appear to be a bas relief. I'm pleased with it, but love the contrast you used.

• Ele28097682

I'm so inspired and interested to make it in the future :) thanks.