DIY Decorator
DIY Decorator
  • Australia

DIY Board & Batten Mudroom Wall

My back entry/mudroom is a real mess, and in desperate need of a makeover. I’m going to tackle the mudroom one section at a time, starting with adding a board and batten wall with hooks so we can hang all our coats and hats on it.
diy board batten mudroom wal, foyer, how to, painting, woodworking projects
The first step was to measure up my wall and work out just where I wanted the board and batten to go and what size timber I needed to buy.
I measured the length of the wall between the door doors and cut the baseboard to size. There was a timber board running above the tile line so I was able to screw the baseboard all along the wall.
Next I secured the two vertical side pieces of timber to the walls. I left these at 1.8 metres long.
Installing the top and centre horizontal boards was just a case of measuring between the two vertical boards and cutting the timber to size. I screwed the board to the wall into the studs, and made sure the boards were level.
I made the height of the centre board low enough that a jacket hanging from the top board would not cover the hooks on the centre board. The centre board is 92 – 106cm from the floor. The top board is approx 188 – 202cm from the floor. Once the horizontal boards were in place I could work out the length and spacing of my vertical boards.
To prepare the wall for painting, I used wood filler to cover all the counter sunk screws. I then used a caulking gun with gap filler to go around all the timber edges and fill any gaps. Use a wet cloth to wipe away the excess and create a smooth join. I used a small hand sander over the entire surface before painting.
The final step to complete my board and batten wall was to screw the hooks into place. More detailed instructions and a list of materials can be found on the blog post.
DIY Decorator

• Sandy Richardson

No questions, your instructions are quite clear. I just wanted to say that this looks great and is quite doable for the average person who likes DIY projects. I'm going to keep it in mind for my entryway renovation shortly. Thanks!

• DIY Decorator

Thanks Sandy. I am by no means a professional DIY'er so if I can do it, anyone can.
  • Slj10546133

What is the height or thickness of the boards on the perimeter and middle of the project
  • Lynda S Paulk

You have measurements in milimeters what are they in feet?

• Tricia

What difference does it makes, your wall won't be the exact size as hers, so her measurements won't apply to you. Customize to fit your wall.