DIY Board & Batten Mudroom Wall

My back entry/mudroom is a real mess, and in desperate need of a makeover. I’m going to tackle the mudroom one section at a time, starting with adding a board and batten wall with hooks so we can hang all our coats and hats on it.
The first step was to measure up my wall and work out just where I wanted the board and batten to go and what size timber I needed to buy.
I measured the length of the wall between the door doors and cut the baseboard to size. There was a timber board running above the tile line so I was able to screw the baseboard all along the wall.
Next I secured the two vertical side pieces of timber to the walls. I left these at 1.8 metres long.
Installing the top and centre horizontal boards was just a case of measuring between the two vertical boards and cutting the timber to size. I screwed the board to the wall into the studs, and made sure the boards were level.
I made the height of the centre board low enough that a jacket hanging from the top board would not cover the hooks on the centre board. The centre board is 92 – 106cm from the floor. The top board is approx 188 – 202cm from the floor. Once the horizontal boards were in place I could work out the length and spacing of my vertical boards.
To prepare the wall for painting, I used wood filler to cover all the counter sunk screws. I then used a caulking gun with gap filler to go around all the timber edges and fill any gaps. Use a wet cloth to wipe away the excess and create a smooth join. I used a small hand sander over the entire surface before painting.
The final step to complete my board and batten wall was to screw the hooks into place. More detailed instructions and a list of materials can be found on the blog post.

30 Great Mason Jar Ideas You Have To Try
31 Ways For You To Style Your Garden
31 Ways To Get Privacy Inside And Outside Your Home
30 Adorable DIY Ideas For July 4th
30 Jaw-Dropping Decorating Techniques You've Never Seen Before
3 Super Cool Marbelizing Techniques Everyone's Trying!
Step-by-Step Painting Techniques You'll Want to Try!
Easy DIY Ideas To Add Some FUN To Your Office Space
23 Valentine's Day DIY Ideas That You Don't Want To Miss
Update Your Plain Dishes With These Adorable Ideas
DIY Decorator

• Paula

The vertical boards in center of the wall don't like they are 1x4's..they look like they are 1x2's..did you cut the 1x4's in half?

• Joseph N DeFranco

Does the door clear the hooks, or does the door hit the hooks? Looks great!

Maybe you could add a narrow shelf or two after the hooks towards the end?

• Bonnie

My first thought was: "Looks like a garage door!" Did you think this after you finished?

• Patsy47

love the board & batten look, very handsome plus practical.....now, i would paint the door black, not the trim, just the door., connects with the floor...IMHO 🙄

• AndradeTea

Love the look + functional. It also took an otherwise plain wall and gave it some cool architectural interest.