Two More Birdhouses In Our Back Yard

I purchased the dried gourd from an Amish family in Lawrenceburg, TN a few weeks ago. The copper tea kettle, the black "thing" and metal butterfly I found at Goodwill. I hope that some little birds will move into them next spring.
I sterilized the gourd and sprayed it with 3 coats of polyurethane to make it last a long time.  Get the tutorial at How-To: DIY Network How To Make A Gourd Birdhouse.  Next photos show you how I made the tea kettle house.
I sterilized the gourd and sprayed it with 3 coats of polyurethane to make it last a long time. Get the tutorial at How-To: DIY Network How To Make A Gourd Birdhouse. Next photos show you how I made the tea kettle house.
Tea kettle with 1 1/4" hole made with drill attachment, lid, plastic thing that looks like a door handle (I don't have a clue what it is), metal butterfly that I painted, and JB Kwikweld
I cut the black plastic thing in two and Kwikwelded  the larger end to the lid. This provides an awning and also an easy way to remove the lid for cleaning out the house.
I cut the black plastic thing in two and Kwikwelded the larger end to the lid. This provides an awning and also an easy way to remove the lid for cleaning out the house.
The knob was missing from the lid and it was inconvenient to remove the lid before I added the awning.  Now all I have to do is take the whole thing off when it needs cleaning out.
The knob was missing from the lid and it was inconvenient to remove the lid before I added the awning. Now all I have to do is take the whole thing off when it needs cleaning out.
Next I added the butterfly using the JB Kwikweld.
I stuffed the spout opening with a wad of newspaper and inserted the waterproof silicon to keep the rain out.

• Anne Garber

This is a really cute idea. I can't wait to see a photo of the new tenant.

• Pat aka Queen of Thrift

@Anne Garber Thank you! I may have to camp out for a while to get a photo. Depends on the type of bird....some are so sensitive to ANY surrounding activity.

• Mary Alice Sneed

I love it. The black thing looks like a pancake flipper.....

• Pat aka Queen of Thrift

@Mary Alice Sneed Thank you! I thought the black thing looked like a kitchen gadget but I could not figure why there were two "spatulas" with the handle in between. You may be correct.....just never seen one before.