Two More Birdhouses In Our Back Yard

I purchased the dried gourd from an Amish family in Lawrenceburg, TN a few weeks ago. The copper tea kettle, the black "thing" and metal butterfly I found at Goodwill. I hope that some little birds will move into them next spring.
I sterilized the gourd and sprayed it with 3 coats of polyurethane to make it last a long time. Get the tutorial at How-To: DIY Network How To Make A Gourd Birdhouse. Next photos show you how I made the tea kettle house.
Tea kettle with 1 1/4" hole made with drill attachment, lid, plastic thing that looks like a door handle (I don't have a clue what it is), metal butterfly that I painted, and JB Kwikweld
I cut the black plastic thing in two and Kwikwelded the larger end to the lid. This provides an awning and also an easy way to remove the lid for cleaning out the house.
The knob was missing from the lid and it was inconvenient to remove the lid before I added the awning. Now all I have to do is take the whole thing off when it needs cleaning out.
Next I added the butterfly using the JB Kwikweld.
I stuffed the spout opening with a wad of newspaper and inserted the waterproof silicon to keep the rain out.

Questions on this post

Your question...

Comments

2 of 23 comments
Next