How to Clean Your Dishwasher

813K Views
My dishwasher is one of the hardest working things in my house (I basically run it everyday!), but it’s easy to forget that it needs a good cleaning too. When my dishwasher starts to smell, you know it's time to give it a good cleaning. With just two green ingredients you can have an Eco clean dishwasher (without using expensive dishwasher detergent).
Time: 30 MinutesCost: $2Difficulty: Easy
  • how to clean your dishwasher
As with any green-friendly cleaner, baking soda and vinegar are my go-to cleaning ingredients.
Step 1: Gather Your Materials
  • how to clean your dishwasher
I used white vinegar (cleaning vinegar), baking soda, and a dishwasher safe cup (not pictured).
Step 2: Put Your Cup in the Top Rack
  • how to clean your dishwasher
Place your cup upright on the top shelf. I did this, because it allows the dishwasher to flood the vinegar out of the cup. This gives it a slow release as opposed to being poured out all at once. You don't have to do this, but I think it makes the cleaner work better.
Step 3: Add the Vinegar to the Cup
  • how to clean your dishwasher
Fill the cup almost all the way to the top with vinegar.
Step 4: Sprinkle Baking Soda and Set Your Machine to Wash
  • how to clean your dishwasher
Sprinkle baking soda on the bottom of the dishwasher. Then set it to the hottest setting, and let it start.
  • how to clean your dishwasher
How simple was that? The smell is gone and now my dishwasher is nice and clean.

Suggested materials for this project:

Prices updated as of July 13, 2018 11:29 PM - More infoHometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page.