How to Clean Your Dishwasher

$2

My dishwasher is one of the hardest working things in my house (I basically run it everyday!), but it’s easy to forget that it needs a good cleaning too. When my dishwasher starts to smell, you know it's time to give it a good cleaning. With just two green ingredients you can have an Eco clean dishwasher (without using expensive dishwasher detergent).
how to clean your dishwasher
As with any green-friendly cleaner, baking soda and vinegar are my go-to cleaning ingredients.
Step 1: Gather Your Materials
how to clean your dishwasher
I used white vinegar (cleaning vinegar), baking soda, and a dishwasher safe cup (not pictured).
Step 2: Put Your Cup in the Top Rack
how to clean your dishwasher
Place your cup upright on the top shelf. I did this, because it allows the dishwasher to flood the vinegar out of the cup. This gives it a slow release as opposed to being poured out all at once. You don't have to do this, but I think it makes the cleaner work better.
Step 3: Add the Vinegar to the Cup
how to clean your dishwasher
Fill the cup almost all the way to the top with vinegar.
Step 4: Sprinkle Baking Soda and Set Your Machine to Wash
how to clean your dishwasher
Sprinkle baking soda on the bottom of the dishwasher. Then set it to the hottest setting, and let it start.
how to clean your dishwasher
How simple was that? The smell is gone and now my dishwasher is nice and clean.

• Linda

How do you unplug a dishwasher?

• Linda

My question was unclear as I got responses for stopping electricity to my dishwasher.

What I should have asked is I have standing water in my dish washer that won't drain away. Is there a liquid I can use to add to the dishwasher to loosen the clog from clogging up my dish washer? Hopefully it will be safe to use inside the dish washer.

• Diane Prentice
      30 minutes ago

I have my husband take that screen out monthly for cleaning. I didn't know it was there either till I stopped the yearly maintenance on it. Nasty job, but my dish washer works like new.

• Cat34409984

How much vineger and baking soda do you use?

• Darlene Lewis

I use this combination to unplug a toilet that is very stubborn.....works great!!!!!

• Judy Billeaudeau Gary

I use this combination to clean sink drains. It also works on washing machine drains, just use really hot water. I even heat the vinegar some.