How to Clean Your Dishwasher

$2

My dishwasher is one of the hardest working things in my house (I basically run it everyday!), but it’s easy to forget that it needs a good cleaning too. When my dishwasher starts to smell, you know it's time to give it a good cleaning. With just two green ingredients you can have an Eco clean dishwasher (without using expensive dishwasher detergent).
As with any green-friendly cleaner, baking soda and vinegar are my go-to cleaning ingredients.
Step 1: Gather Your Materials
I used white vinegar (cleaning vinegar), baking soda, and a dishwasher safe cup (not pictured).
Step 2: Put Your Cup in the Top Rack
Place your cup upright on the top shelf. I did this, because it allows the dishwasher to flood the vinegar out of the cup. This gives it a slow release as opposed to being poured out all at once. You don't have to do this, but I think it makes the cleaner work better.
Step 3: Add the Vinegar to the Cup
Fill the cup almost all the way to the top with vinegar.
Step 4: Sprinkle Baking Soda and Set Your Machine to Wash
Sprinkle baking soda on the bottom of the dishwasher. Then set it to the hottest setting, and let it start.
How simple was that? The smell is gone and now my dishwasher is nice and clean.

31 Astounding Things You Didn't Know You Could Do With Contact Paper
12 Container Garden Ideas to Kick Off Spring
Does Your Staircase Need an Update?
23 Adorable Ways You Can Make Your Own Coasters
31 Tricks To Help You Fix The Wood In Your Home:
3 Wonderful Ways You Can Upcycle Old Windows
These Bathroom Makeovers Might Inspire You To Update Your Own

• Dian Connor
    Dian Connor

I don't see where you mention how much of vinegar & baking soda to use? Is there a specific amount?

• Chris
    Chris

I like this idea and would certainly use it if I could be sure it was alright to use in an old machine. What are your thoughts?

• Mary
    Mary

How to get smell out of my washing machine

• Cathy Whitney
      Cathy Whitney

Vinegar smell disappear quickly. You should have a fresh clean smell. Not musky like some dishwashers can get. I use vinegar in my laundry to help disinfect and soften. Never smell the vinegar afterwards. It's great for cleaning almost everything in the house, from floor to ceiling.