How to Clean Your Dishwasher

$2

My dishwasher is one of the hardest working things in my house (I basically run it everyday!), but it’s easy to forget that it needs a good cleaning too. When my dishwasher starts to smell, you know it's time to give it a good cleaning. With just two green ingredients you can have an Eco clean dishwasher (without using expensive dishwasher detergent).
how to clean your dishwasher
As with any green-friendly cleaner, baking soda and vinegar are my go-to cleaning ingredients.
Step 1: Gather Your Materials
how to clean your dishwasher
I used white vinegar (cleaning vinegar), baking soda, and a dishwasher safe cup (not pictured).
Step 2: Put Your Cup in the Top Rack
how to clean your dishwasher
Place your cup upright on the top shelf. I did this, because it allows the dishwasher to flood the vinegar out of the cup. This gives it a slow release as opposed to being poured out all at once. You don't have to do this, but I think it makes the cleaner work better.
Step 3: Add the Vinegar to the Cup
how to clean your dishwasher
Fill the cup almost all the way to the top with vinegar.
Step 4: Sprinkle Baking Soda and Set Your Machine to Wash
how to clean your dishwasher
Sprinkle baking soda on the bottom of the dishwasher. Then set it to the hottest setting, and let it start.
how to clean your dishwasher
How simple was that? The smell is gone and now my dishwasher is nice and clean.
Product prices and availability are accurate as of the date/time indicated and are subject to change. Any price and availability information displayed on [relevant Amazon Site(s), as applicable] at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of this product.
Hometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page. Prices updated as of September 05, 2018 11:23 PM - More info

• Kat29766325

How often do you do this in the dishwasher?

• Loi31711874

Baking soda and white vinegar is a good combo to clean showe and shower doors. Just don't ever try to contain it,because it foams up and can explode.

• Betty Douglas

How much vinegar,and baking soda and what size cup?

• Eleanor Korf

I just put about 1/3 of a cup of vinegar in my loaded dishwasher periodically and it keeps my dishwasher clean and my glasses sparkling clean. Instructions say do not use vinegar too often. When I take the dishes out of the dishwasher the last thing I do is take my kitchen towel and wipe the door until dry. My dishwasher stays nice and clean without a lot of work.

• Barbara Vaughn

Can this also be done in washing machine?

• Sou28554399

Does it stop static cling? That's the main reason I use "clear" fabric softner.

• Hi. In response to your comment about glass possibly being bad for the dishwasher, I believe they were talking about a garbage disposal...and how to sharpen the blades in it, not for the dishwasher.

• Darlene Lewis

I use this combination to unplug a toilet that is very stubborn.....works great!!!!!