How-To DIY Faux Leaded Glass

I love the look of old painted cabinets, and pony walls (half walls) with pass-through built-in leaded glass cabinets. For this project, I was inspired by my old brownstone apartments that I lived in during my 20’s. It’s hard to beat the form and function of old architecture.
Installing the leaded glass using a template
With most raised panel cabinet doors, the wood panel sits inside a groove. By using our router, had to open the groove and cut the backside of the groove off. Then we removed the wood panel from the back.
Up close of the plunge router. Once you remove the groove, you can remove the wood panel that sits in the door. We “plunged” the bit and then set the depth (it only goes to a certain depth) so it wouldn’t go through the cabinet. We made a wood guide out of scrap wood (A MUST) so your router doesn’t go all over the place. There was no “pretty” way to do this.
After --remember we are covering this ugly part with a trim piece later.
Get glass cut at a local hardware store to sit inside the groove. Then inside the groove, lay a strip of putty to cushion the door, then cover the back with a trim piece.
Covered the cut groove with a trim piece - then painting.
Create a template with a pattern of your choice, then apply it to the back of the glass. Be sure to tape it to the underside of your cabinet, facing up. This is your pattern to apply the metal strips.
Following the instructions on the package, apply the self-adhesive metal strips using the materials included.
Kitchen before
After!
Before
Here are the cabinets where we eventually removed the panels and added the glass
Come see my full tutorial which breaks down our entire kitchen project!

• Vitrail Self Adhesive Metal Strips (affiliate link included)  (http://amzn.to/2bj0D1C)

Jeanette @SnazzyLittleThings.com

• Fre1051044

I think that looks great

• Brenda

I have joined your blog! You are so clever. How do you come up with such clever ideas.

• Welcome! Haha Brenda. You're too kind. I don't often mention my 3 years worth of "think time" before inspiration finally strikes. I live in a space for awhile and see how the rest of the projects evolve. That's when something like this project finally occurs to me.