Shelby
Shelby
  • Milwaukee, WI

White Desk Needs a Top Coat

I recently finished painting my $10 desk find. I bought a Semi-Gloss Glidden Primer/Paint in white. After several coats, the paint looked spotty on the top. If you looked at it on an angle there were some spots that weren't shiny like the rest. I tried using a Water-based Polyurethane, but it became slightly yellow and I had to sand it off. I researched other ways to give the top a hard finish with no luck. I read that waxes are usually best for satin or natural wood. And a oil Poly was out of the question since I hear it will also yellow. What else is left? Since the paint is semi-gloss it wipes off easy already, but the top of a desk will get a lot of wear and tear, and I feel like it needs a hard finish. Am I wrong? Should I just leave it? Or did I buy cheap paint?
white desk needs a top coat, painted furniture

Shelby

• Sue Baldridge

It looks as if the previous finish on the desk was very shiny. I assume that you sanded it down to the wood grain before painting?? I painted a chest with Annie Sloan type paint (made from my own recipe) and waxed the top, which I left a natural wood color. It is tacky and doesn't polish up well either. I waxed my kitchen table with Annie Sloan dark and clear wax and it is also tacky. Not the finish I expected either. :(

• Marion Nesbitt

If you sand it down, apply some white shellac. It will seal in anything that may be causing a problem. Then prime and paint. Good luck.