Libbie B
Libbie B
  • Wyoming, MI

Vintage Doors to the Rescue in Our Guest Room Update!

I was challenged by the need to create a comfortable guest room in a 10 x 9 space. I really wanted space to walk around the bed (and for side tables too). Once I planned out the room I realized the existing closets doors were going to be tight and open right into the side of the bed. Easy answer... Barn door right?? But I was going for a vibe that was more boho chic than Farmhouse. So this is what we did instead.
Guest Room
Guest Room
We found some vintage doors on craigslist. They were too large for the opening but I loved them so hubby figured he cut them both down to make one sliding door, eliminating the space needed for the door to open into the room!
Vintage find
Vintage find
Hubby used his mad math skills to cut the doors so they kept the panels even enough to look like it had always been one door.
The 2 doors into one.
The 2 doors into one.
We used sliding barn wood​ door hardware from Home Depot to hang the new door.
The door before and after.
The door before and after.
I did mention the space is small right??!!?? Well, I can't seem to get a finished shot of the entire room together! But here is the before and after door. There are more pics here: http://alifeunfolding.com
Tiny but comfortable!
Tiny but comfortable!

• Vintage doors  (Sliding Hardware Kit)
Libbie B

• Bev Wolf

How did your husband join the two doors? Any pictures of it?

• Fho3960399

Omg I love this! arent the doors heavy? Did you have to buy special sliding hardware to support them? I love old doors and would like to try this m
    • Libbie B

Thank you!!! We really like the look of them. We did have to support the sliding hardware (that we bought at Home Depot) with 2 extra heavy duty screws into the studs. We had a friend drill the extra holes into the metal for us. I would say the hardest part was we actually turned two doors into one and getting that to look solid took us the most time. We are on the hunt for another antique door (this time an eight footer) for a different room. :)

• Karla Sanchez

Beautiful idea! Let me ask you, what kind of door do you have as your actual bedroom door?

• Shoestring Amy

LOVE the industrial chic vibe you've got going on. I peaked over on your blog (okay, that's a lie. I looked everywhere!) Beautiful home!! I didn't see a place to leave a comment over there.

• Joanie

Love, love, love!!!