How to Make an Easy Patio Privacy Screen {Step-by-Step Tutorial}

$30

I've seen several DIY projects for privacy fences, but I didn't want to spend a lot of money or put a ton of effort into this project. Unfortunately, I have a champagne vision with a beer budget, but we were able to complete this project for less than $30 in under two hours.
Paul (the hubs), was going to be doing most of the work, and I would be the job foreman. I'm happy to report that we're still married, even after our..."lively" debate about why its unrealistic for me to expect full growth ivy winding it's way through the lattice panels, while we sit in cushy new patio chairs sipping Mojitos listening to the gentle gurgle of a three-tier water feature that he could also build that weekend? Geesh, he's such a killjoy.
how to make an easy patio privacy screen step by step tutorial, outdoor living, woodworking projects
Our house is built on a slope which gives us a front entrance at street level, but a totally daylight lower level. We spend most of our time on our upper deck, but occasionally entertain on the patio below. When we do spend time on the patio, we have the houses across the street looking down on us from their decks. I feel so exposed! Even though we don’t spend a lot of time on the downstairs patio, when we do, I want privacy
I wanted to keep the lattice it's natural wood color, but I wanted to paint the frame white. We had some 1x3 boards left over from a previous project, and a half can of white paint in the basement, so all we needed to buy was a bit of hardware and we were good to go.
Our lattice panels measured about 32 x 48, so Paul cut enough 1 x 3's to create frames for each. Instead of mitering the corners, we decided to straight cut the boards and just butt the corners together.
Paul took a break while I painted all the boards with a couple coats of white exterior paint. I made sure to paint the ends of the boards since some of the ends would be exposed. I wanted to sandwich the lattice between two frames, but we were out of lumber, so I agreed to seeing how it looked with the frame on just one side. If it looked tacky like that, we'd add a frame to the back.
When the boards were dry, we laid them out, squared the corners, and glued the frame corners with wood glue.
how to make an easy patio privacy screen step by step tutorial, outdoor living, woodworking projects, Attaching the lattice to the frame
Attaching the lattice to the frame.
We did a final check to make sure everything was square, then air stapled the end of each lattice slat to the frame. It turned out a lot sturdier than I thought it would be. We quickly finished the other two panels, and the construction phase was done. (At this point we had begun speaking again).
Next, we hauled the panels to the patio (notice that I said we?), and drilled starter holes in the center of both end boards on each panel.
how to make an easy patio privacy screen step by step tutorial, outdoor living, woodworking projects, Adding the eyescrew to the panel for hanging
Adding the eyescrew to the panel for hanging.
We then screwed eyescrews into the starter holes. These suckers were ready to hang!
I wanted the panels to be placed at a height that provided privacy both when we were sitting or standing. Paul held up a panel while I eyeballed the height (very high-tech precise measuring system, yes?). Then we measured and marked to be sure the three panels were evenly spaced across. Starting at one end, Paul slipped the drill bit through the chain , attached a screw to the drill bit (I love that they’re magnetic), and drilled the screw at his first mark. We used 10 lb capacity chain (that I was certain wasn’t strong enough to hold the panels).
He measured the chain from the drilled screw to the length we needed to attach it to the panel for the height we had decided on. Using two needle-nosed pliers, he opened the last link on the chain and slipped off the excess chain. He then attached an S-hook into the bottom link, and squeezed the link back together with his pliers.
Finally, we hooked the S-hooks that were attached to the end of the chains, into the eyescrews on the top of the frames, and hung the panels. We stood back to take a look, and I’ll be damned! After only a little bit of adjusting, which we did by moving the screws holding the chains a hair up or down, the panels were level and evenly spaced. Not bad for a couple hours work!
Turns out, all my kicking and screaming was a waste of energy, because the end result looked almost exactly what I had envisioned (minus the furniture and waterfall). I had originally wanted the bottom of the panels to be anchored, but was talked out of it. I ended up loving the airy feeling it has by just letting them hang free. I had also originally wanted to use heavier chain, but by using the lighter-weight, the chain is barely visible and gives the panels the appearance of being suspended in mid-air. I really need to work on this control issue a teeny bit, and put a little more faith in my man. Obvs he knows what he’s doing.
how to make an easy patio privacy screen step by step tutorial, outdoor living, woodworking projects, I now have some privacy
I now have some privacy!
So, by using a lot of materials we already had, and scoring a great find at an estate sale, I’m able to enjoy my private little patio for under $30. And I LOVE IT! (Thank you honey).
Tawsha and Patti @organizedCHAOS

• Maccie Coleman

Where did you use the pet screen because I didn't see were you used it.

• Sugarbaker

I haven't either. Is the lattice the pet screen? I did not see the use of the word "pet" screen, but its very early and I can't read very well right now.

I absolutely love this, and we will try to do this one next weekend. The only change I would make is keeping on of the "S" hooks open enough to take them down. We're on a windy corner and it would have to be anchored or easy to take down if a storm kicks up. That doesn't say anything that's wrong with the project....it's just logistics for us.

Well done! Love the inspiration!!!

• Katie Nadea

Do you use the fire pit on the patio? I just purchased one to burn my tree limbs and wonder if it was safe on the patio?

• Leola Specht
    Yesterday

I have a similar space but it's on a covered concrete front porch. I would like to create/install something like your hanging lattice on the side of the porch that faces a nasty nosy neighbor. I'm concerned about wind though -- wind would go through the lattice openings but I'm just wondering if wind has caused any damage to the structure you built and intalled so far? With storms being more and more severe these days, I want to be sure it would be stable enough for my front porch.

• Beb2591026

I am a 1st timer, alone but willing to try this. I love it. But I really would need a complete materials list so I can go to my nearest Home Depot to make this sooo much needed screen. Thanks.

• Louise_Zielinski

Love the panels and I also like the free hanging panels on the lighter chains, it really does have an airy feel - nice work!