Ombre Stenciled Chairs

How to completely transform a set of chairs with stencils and a really subtle ombre effect.
ombre stenciled chairs, how to, painted furniture
I painted the top of the chairs with a lovely blue furniture paint, leaving the back and edges bare wood. Using a damp cloth I wiped any paint off the edges to create a sharp line.
After lightly coating the back of the stencil with a spray adhesive I positioned the stencil at the top of chair and applied a white stencil paint with a stencil brush. The pattern was added to the seat back only, with a narrow border at the bottom of the seat.
Using another dry stencil brush I dipped it into the blue paint, removing as much as possible in a small plastic bowl, before applying a very light coating on top of the white pattern. Start at the bottom and gradually fade out around half way up the design.
Once dry I applied a coat of varnish over the whole surface. For this project I used Polvine Decorators Varnish in Dead Flat Finish.
I repeated the whole process again using a different stencil for each of the four chairs.
The Fes Stencil
The Souk Stencil
The Agra Stencil
The Cordoba Stencil
Nicolette tabram designs