"Closet Desk" Makeover

A few years ago, we had one of our closets turned into a little secret “home office” work space. We added some built-in shelves and a desktop into the closet. However, we never really paid much attention to the work space and it become sort of a “catch all” in our house. We recently had our major built-in desk installed in our family room, and this poor little work space was feeling some major desk envy!

From the outside, it looks like a basic, average closet when the doors are on and closed.

Here’s what I started with for this makeover. Besides adding the shelves and desktop, we never really took the time to make it look and feel like it should…. Until now!

I began by painting the closet walls to give it some color.

Ahhh… Already starting to look better!

I added in storage, seating, accessories, and desk decor to give the space style and functionality.

I just love the space – and I know its days of being a “catch all” spot are over. We’ve got the storage we need and the style we want! Be sure to click the link below and "follow" along with my posts, so you're sure to never miss a project!

The Cofran Home

• CarlyTee

Hi there, I’d also love to know the dimensions. I’m about to tackle the bedroom closet and I have 130 x 58 cms to play with. I also LOVE your shelves and desk. First closet I’ve seen with shaped shelves. Are they made side-back-side or is it one sheet of wood with the front cut out? This is the best closet office I’ve seen! I even signed up to Hometalk so I could ask this question!

• Robyn Garner

I created a closet based office in my previous home. Check the width on yours - I was able to use a cheap hollow core door to accomplish a desktop!

• Judy in Canton.

How did you install the wall outlets? Lighted closets usually have a ceiling fixture.

• Sandra Allen

If functionality is more important than aesthetics, you can just run a power cord from either a wall socket outside the doors.

• Marge W.

Did you remove the closet door? Looks like you did but wanted to make sure.

• Sandra Allen

They did. I can see the brackets still on the floor. If it's that pretty I would not want to hide it so I am thinking they wanted to keep the "flow" of the room open.

• Sandra Allen

This is very nice and the photos are great too!

• Marge W.

I really love this project and will start to work on it over the summer. Thanks for replying to my question.