From Headboard To Chalkboard

Hello Hometalkers! I teamed up with my friends over at DecoArt, to bring you this project! Their line of paints are seriously to die for! Easy to use, and their bright crisp colors will leave your projects looking ahhhmazing!
from headboard to chalkboard, chalkboard paint, crafts, how to, painting, repurposing upcycling
The paint that I used for this project is from the Americana Chalky Finish line. I am seriously in LOVE with this stuff.
Without further ado, let’s get into the project!
So this is what I started with
I know some may get upset with what I did next…
I started with my reciprocating saw and I cut off the spindle posts. Don’t worry I didn’t toss them. I reused them for another amazing project (that will be coming soon).
I still have the second part of the headboard that I can repurpose into something else, too.
Then I got to work with the Americana Chalky Finish paint. The shade is Refreshing and it is gorgeous!
I can’t get over how easy this stuff is to work with. You just paint and the product does all the work!
I left some of the edges unpainted and let the natural wood show through. This was just so I could get a really rustic look.
Next, I painted the inside part with Americana Chalkboard Paint.
Another fabulous product from DecoArt.
Once the chalkboard paint had dried, all that was left to do was set up my new chalkboard!
Take a look…
Ahhhhh….I am in LOVE!
So there you have it! A brand new chalkboard from an old headboard.

• DecoArt Americana Chalky Finish  (Michael's)
  • DecoArt Americana Chalkboard Paint  (Michael's)
Holly from By The Stand

• Jan10591203

What I want to know is 'what did you do with the legs'???

• The legs were just trimmed off, but the decorative spindles that were sticking up were used to make wood butterflies! I have yet to post this project as I am waiting for nicer weather to put them out. I am in Canada and it is really cold and snowy here :)

• Ard7370318

Was this a solid wood headboard or a plastic laminate over particle board? I ask because I have a beautiful old bedroom set we not longer use but it's the molded plastic over particle board.

• Hi Ardale, this headboard was solid wood. Your headboard may completely fall apart if you try to cut it, but if you are not using it anymore you could always take the risk :)

• Julie Mullins

nice idea.

• Donna Whiteduck

I don't know why but I don't think I would like that in my daughters room. Just the look of it creeps me out. I wonder why?

• Robby Treichel

Personally I love it, but I can see where it kind of looks "Monster Highish", if that's a word. Maybe you would like it better as a mirror.