From Headboard To Chalkboard

1 Material
$40

Hello Hometalkers! I teamed up with my friends over at DecoArt, to bring you this project! Their line of paints are seriously to die for! Easy to use, and their bright crisp colors will leave your projects looking ahhhmazing!

The paint that I used for this project is from the Americana Chalky Finish line. I am seriously in LOVE with this stuff.

Without further ado, let’s get into the project! So this is what I started with

I know some may get upset with what I did next…

I started with my reciprocating saw and I cut off the spindle posts. Don’t worry I didn’t toss them. I reused them for another amazing project (that will be coming soon).

I still have the second part of the headboard that I can repurpose into something else, too. Then I got to work with the Americana Chalky Finish paint. The shade is Refreshing and it is gorgeous!

I can’t get over how easy this stuff is to work with. You just paint and the product does all the work! I left some of the edges unpainted and let the natural wood show through. This was just so I could get a really rustic look.

Next, I painted the inside part with Americana Chalkboard Paint.

Another fabulous product from DecoArt.

Once the chalkboard paint had dried, all that was left to do was set up my new chalkboard! Take a look…

Ahhhhh….I am in LOVE!

So there you have it! A brand new chalkboard from an old headboard.

Holly Grace

• Jan10591203

What I want to know is 'what did you do with the legs'???

• Holly Grace

The legs were just trimmed off, but the decorative spindles that were sticking up were used to make wood butterflies! I have yet to post this project as I am waiting for nicer weather to put them out. I am in Canada and it is really cold and snowy here :)

• Ardale

Was this a solid wood headboard or a plastic laminate over particle board? I ask because I have a beautiful old bedroom set we not longer use but it's the molded plastic over particle board.

• Holly Grace

Hi Ardale, this headboard was solid wood. Your headboard may completely fall apart if you try to cut it, but if you are not using it anymore you could always take the risk :)

• Pat Ruge

You go girl friend! Any woman who uses a reciprocating saw is ready to tackle any project. Using the appropriate tools is always the best choice.

• Lawana Bryan

Love, love this!!! Also think it would make a great open jewelry/earring organizer with wire in the center. You have given us wonderful inspiration!! Thank you!!