GrandmasHouseDIY
GrandmasHouseDIY
  • Menahga, MN

Our Beachy Low Maintenance Backyard Fire Pit!

$20

Here’s the thing about my fire pit - I had almost NO budget so that meant I had to get really creative! First thing I thought of first was function: I hated having to move all of my yard furniture every time I mowed so I wanted something my furniture could sit on and NEVER have to move.

our beachy low maintenance backyard fire pit , go green, how to, outdoor living

Second thing was safety, I wanted a fire pit I didn’t have to worry about. Also, I didn’t want a fire pit that (if not used) would fill full of grass and weeds. Everything pointed to the fact that my dad had a leftover pile of beach sand on his property that he wanted me to have.

So, that settled it, I was going to make myself a beach bon fire spot!

I started by sticking a stake in the middle of my current “fire pit”, tying a rope to it and going in a big circle around the whole pit with a can of spray paint. I measured the paths using the “width” of the landscape fabric I had on hand. And decided to do a path from my driveway (along the side of the house) to converge with the path at my deck and then go on to the fire pit.

And then I removed the sod over two days and countless blisters…

With the sod removed I laid down the landscapers fabric. I happened to have a neighbor with a tractor who noticed what I was doing an offered to bring the sand to me. I could have kissed the man I was so relieved!

There are some real cool things about this fire pit that I absolutely love. It is incredibly low maintenance, I’ve had to do only about ten minutes of weeding combined all summer long.

I love taking my shoes off and settling in by the fire, it really does feel like I'm on a beach!

I would imagine that this would also be fun for folks with little kids as it would also double as a sand box! Like my sun loungers? I made them out of old goose hunting chairs and outdoor table cloths!

• Sand
  • Weed Fabric
GrandmasHouseDIY

• Roy Garald

how do you keep neighbor cats out of the sand?

• GrandmasHouseDIY

We fortunately do not have many neighborhood cats - we're WAY out there in the country with a pretty large carnivore population (coyotes wolves bear etc) so we haven't had that problem but I would think neighborhood cats would love it... I'm wondering if there is a smell (I know they hate citrus) that you could spray on it to keep them away?

• Laurie Deuyour

I am disabled and I wouldn't be able to dig the sod out. Do you think if I just put the fabric down it will kill the grass?

• Mary Coakley

This is an unrelated question,what year is your house? It has great carachter.? Is the silo part of your house.?

• GrandmasHouseDIY

Hey Mary, the house was built in 1915 the barn and silo were built around 1925 when an addition was also added the house :) Thank you for asking, it was my grandparents' dairy farm I wish had been around when the barn was full of Jersey cows :)

• Brenda Brown

Makes me wish I had a much bigger yard! Lots of hard work for you and your hubby but it paid off in spades as it's awesome :).

• Dar Woodhurst

We are taking down and getting rid of an 18 ft above ground pool. It is time leaks in the liner etc. Anyway I plan on putting a patio type structure there, and I am hoping that since it has been cover with the pool and ground cloth etc, that the dead whatever is under there grass etc. will be easy enough to get up. We did most of the hard work when we put the pool in so I hope that helps out on this project. Your backyard beach looks great!

• GrandmasHouseDIY

Thank you Dar! Wow, what a big job to get rid of your pool but I'm sure it'll all pay off!