Bling Bling House Numbers

$2
1 Day

Like most people today, we all download to usb and live stream , so no longer have a use for all the cd’s and DVD’s. So I wanted to try and find a way to recycle them. I wanted to start off small because doing a mosaic can be very time consuming so I went for a simple house number. This project was so awesome, that Hometalk turned it into a video! Watch it right here:
The cd’s (silver Pieces) were just a matter of cutting them into little pieces, but the DVD’s the (Purple colour) of the two had to be split first. To achieve this I put them in a pot of boiling water on the stove for a minute or two and then just used my nails to separate the layers, the clear top layer can be reused in another project. The purple layer was cut up like the silver.
Cut up Discs
I used an old scrap piece of board and cut a slight shape into it so it did not look to boring. I printed my house number off on to a sheet a paper using Microsoft word and making it to correct size and choosing the style of font I wanted. I cut the numbers out, lay them on the board and traced around the number.
I used Tarzan grip glue to glue all the pieces into place . l glued the numbers first, sticking to the shape of the outside of the numbers first, then filling in the rest. I left it for 24 house to dry completely. Then I added a coat of varnish to seal it all and protect it from the weather.
The results were great and no matter what angle you look at the numbers it looks great. The possible uses for these are endless.
DVD/CD House Numbers
It will also work to paint the number if you want a different color. It is all about personal choice. Here is what the painted one looked like. Still very nice.
Split DVD
(UPDATE) I was making more of these today and discovered some tips that you might need if you are going to be making one. Put the CD's in the pot of boiling water on the stove for a few minutes to softner up and they will be so much easier to cut.
Good DVD
After the DVD has been in the boiling water for about 3 minutes, remove one at a time split it and cut it while it is still warm . It should look like this, Nice clean edges. This does not work with all DVD's as I found out today.
Nasty DVD
If the Purple foil chips off like this when you cut it, that disc will not work. It looks nasty for one and the glue will not stick to the disc properly. I only had a couple of these but thought it was worth a mention.
For more projects

Unique Creations By Anita

• Tammie

Looks great! Where did you get PURPLE CDs? I have never seen them before. Can one also get other colors on the CDs?

• Satiety

You can put CDs in the oven for a few minutes to bring out the colors in it, then cut while warm. Be careful to watch them because they will ripple if left in the oven too long. Also, you can put CDs in the microwave for just a second, no longer. Itll flash but it makes the CD look like colored crackle glass! Great idea, using this one!

• Lucy

what other options of glues can be used?

• Ruggsvillecounty

It's plastic, so most strong adhesives will work fine. I wouldn't recommend using wood for the foundation. I'd use a plastic backing for better use of your adhesive. Then you can staple the plastic backing to the wood and cover thestaples with cd pieces.

• Cherie

How can you wrap concrete bricks in something to put under water so no one stubs their toes when using it as a step?

• Mary Monts

Thanks for all the detailed instructions. I’m curious about the other Projects you might have tried using these. I had a lot of disks I’d like to recycle. I love reusing instead of trashing!

• Teresa

Different ways to cover webbed chairs