How to kill weeds in my Lawn - AUSTRALIA QLD

I need to kill the weeds in my lawn, it's almost spring here in Australia - I live in the warmer parts of QLD. My lawn is full of dandelion weed, and clover out the front, oh and those prickly star shaped weeds are popping up - I prefer something simple & not too time consuming as I'm only home on weekends & time is really limited. I have in the past used the WEED & FEEDS... also I have cats, dog & kids - so nothing to chemically overpowering to affect them either. Thank you.
  • Douglas Hunt Douglas Hunt on Aug 26, 2013
    I'm somewhat leery of giving advice for Australia, Sonya, as I have no idea what type of grass you have there, but, in general, I don't think weed and feeds are a good idea because the two things should not be done at the same time. The pre-emergent in them to suppress weed germination should be applied very early in the season, while the fertilizer should come after your lawn starts to green up. Since you already have weeds growing, you might try an herbicide containing iron HEDTA. (In the US this is sold a number of brands including IronX, Whitney Farms Lawn Weed Killer and Bayer Advanced Natria Lawn Weed Control Concentrate. You will need to search for the active ingredient.) The product works by creating iron toxicity. Because the mechanism of iron uptake is different in broadleaf plants such as dandelion from turf grass, the weeds die while the grass is unaffected. There is anecdotal evidence that your lawn can actually get a boost from the product. If you want to go the low-chemical route (as I do), this is the safest product I know of, but it's very important to check compatibility with your type of grass, as I believe there is a warning against using it on bentgrass, for example.
  • Jeanette S Jeanette S on Aug 26, 2013
    I fought weeds until I nearly dropped! Then I decided I was spending as much on the products to get rid of the weeds as it would cost me to have a lawn service do the spraying for me. And I can spend my time on more effective things! So call someone and get an estimate. My yard is weed free!