A Little Something For Fall! Simple DIY Fall Wreaths

In our rural area, windy conditions can play havoc on seasonal yard decorations. With the exception of pumpkins, I’ve wired and tied things down, to still see them blown across the yard, or disappear all together. So now, I opt to add a bit more seasonal flair with small wreaths inside my home.
I have an abundant crop of egg gourds, dried, and stored in my basement, and have wanted to craft with them for a long time. I got to thinking that, them, along with a few of my favorite things, and what Mother Nature had to offer, would make for some pretty fall decor. Simple and inexpensive, just my style!
Gourd Wreath – Choose seven egg gourds of similar size and shape. Soak overnight in mild bleach water and scrub clean. (A small plastic basket, used for holding baby bottle rings and nipples in a dishwasher, works great for this step. It will hold the gourds and its easy to weigh down under the water). Dry gourds. Wax and buff with Briwax or any furniture wax. On a non-skid surface, arrange the gourds in a circle, and secure together with painter’s tape. Gently turn them over and mark with pencil where they meet each other. Remove the gourds from the tape, one at a time, drill holes with a Dremel and 3/32″ bit, then replace gourd on tape. When done drilling, turn gourds face up and remove tape.
Measure and estimate the diameter of the wire ring you will need. Pre-shape a length of 16 gauge wire around a container of the same diameter. Mine was about 3 1/2″.
String gourds on to the wire. Cut off excess wire and twist ends together. Turn over, face down, and attach a push-in hanger with Gorilla Glue. Let dry.
With side-cutters, cut a few long, bleached pinecones, to form flowers. Spray pinecone pieces and False Baptisia pods with Clear Matte Sealer. Arrange and attach the pine cone pieces with hot glue. Embellish with pods.
Pear Wreath – I like pears and couldn’t resist when I found smaller egg gourds that resembled their shape. Always remember to soak and scrub the gourds.
I mixed a small amount of white and green wall paints for the palest of green color. For a special touch, I used a small slender glass leaf I had, but, you could trim down an artificial leaf, scrap of stiffened material, felt, or use no leaf.
After soaking a 6″ grapevine wreath overnight, slide two thick rubber bands around it’s center to form a more oval shape. Let dry 24 hours. While the wreath dries, give the gourds 2 or 3 coats of paint, one side at a time, and sanding lightly between coats. Be careful, they like to roll!
For the complete post, please click on the link below ..

Vicky Kloppenborg

• Giselle

They are all beautiful but the pear (2nd) wreath is my favourite! It is so elegant!

• Sirkku

Great ideas, thank you so much for sharing