Nancy Dean Davis
Nancy Dean Davis
  • Circleville, OH

Chicken Wire Frame Lamp Shade Tutorial

Finding the perfect lamp shade for my floor lamp was proving to be difficult. I pondered to think about all of the "junk" (treasures) that I had to possible make my own lamp shade. I decided on chicken wire with no frame. I had never done anything like this before but my mind was set it was going to be designed. My Mom helped a lot. She has refinished furniture, upholstered, seamstress, and the list goes on. I have NONE of those talents at all. As a team I come up with the creative ideas and she helps me to implement them. Complete tutorial is on my blog in detail.
I used the round lid to a charcoal grill to get the circle that I wanted for my lamp shade
I used a black marker to trace around the lid.
The is the circle cut out.
The is the circle cut out.
Fold the circle chicken wire in half.
Fold the circle chicken wire in half.
Fold in half again.
Fold in half again.
Last time fold in half again.  I stood on it so the sections of the shade would be slightly molded.
Last time fold in half again. I stood on it so the sections of the shade would be slightly molded.
A rough draft of the chicken wire unfolded.  I then folded it back as to keep its shape.
A rough draft of the chicken wire unfolded. I then folded it back as to keep its shape.
I grunged muslin and wrung it.
I grunged muslin and wrung it.
Using just a very small dab of my homemade walnut stain to pour on the twisted muslin.  Just an itty bitty bit then rub or spread with the bottom of a spoon.
Using just a very small dab of my homemade walnut stain to pour on the twisted muslin. Just an itty bitty bit then rub or spread with the bottom of a spoon.
Here is the wrung muslin with the walnut stain on it.
Out to dry on the fence.
Out to dry on the fence.
A hobnail chenille bedspread that I had used until it was worn completely out was used for its fringes.  The fringes were grunged too.
A hobnail chenille bedspread that I had used until it was worn completely out was used for its fringes. The fringes were grunged too.
I ever so slightly ironed it to be easier to work with.  If you want it to be wrinkled like it dries allow about 2 - 3 inches more to the cut.  My cut was 24 inches.
I ever so slightly ironed it to be easier to work with. If you want it to be wrinkled like it dries allow about 2 - 3 inches more to the cut. My cut was 24 inches.
Close up of the fringe.
Close up of the fringe.
More of the chenille fringe
More of the chenille fringe
The ambiance is so cozy, warm and inviting.  Once you place your chicken wire shade on you will need to adjust it with your fist to make it rounder.
The ambiance is so cozy, warm and inviting. Once you place your chicken wire shade on you will need to adjust it with your fist to make it rounder.
I just learned: The pattern of light cast on a wall by a lampshade is a hyperbola.

Nancy Dean Davis