Chicken Wire Frame Lamp Shade Tutorial

Finding the perfect lamp shade for my floor lamp was proving to be difficult. I pondered to think about all of the "junk" (treasures) that I had to possible make my own lamp shade. I decided on chicken wire with no frame. I had never done anything like this before but my mind was set it was going to be designed. My Mom helped a lot. She has refinished furniture, upholstered, seamstress, and the list goes on. I have NONE of those talents at all. As a team I come up with the creative ideas and she helps me to implement them. Complete tutorial is on my blog in detail.
chicken wire frame lamp shade, crafts, repurposing upcycling, I used the round lid to a charcoal grill to get the circle that I wanted for my lamp shade
I used the round lid to a charcoal grill to get the circle that I wanted for my lamp shade
chicken wire frame lamp shade, crafts, repurposing upcycling, I used a black marker to trace around the lid
I used a black marker to trace around the lid.
chicken wire frame lamp shade, crafts, repurposing upcycling, The is the circle cut out
The is the circle cut out.
chicken wire frame lamp shade, crafts, repurposing upcycling, Fold the circle chicken wire in half
Fold the circle chicken wire in half.
chicken wire frame lamp shade, crafts, repurposing upcycling, Fold in half again
Fold in half again.
chicken wire frame lamp shade, crafts, repurposing upcycling, Last time fold in half again I stood on it so the sections of the shade would be slightly molded
Last time fold in half again. I stood on it so the sections of the shade would be slightly molded.
chicken wire frame lamp shade, crafts, repurposing upcycling, A rough draft of the chicken wire unfolded I then folded it back as to keep its shape
A rough draft of the chicken wire unfolded. I then folded it back as to keep its shape.
chicken wire frame lamp shade, crafts, repurposing upcycling, I grunged muslin and wrung it
I grunged muslin and wrung it.
chicken wire frame lamp shade, crafts, repurposing upcycling, Using just a very small dab of my homemade walnut stain to pour on the twisted muslin Just an itty bitty bit then rub or spread with the bottom of a spoon
Using just a very small dab of my homemade walnut stain to pour on the twisted muslin. Just an itty bitty bit then rub or spread with the bottom of a spoon.
chicken wire frame lamp shade, crafts, repurposing upcycling, Here is the wrung muslin with the walnut stain on it
Here is the wrung muslin with the walnut stain on it.
chicken wire frame lamp shade, crafts, repurposing upcycling, Out to dry on the fence
Out to dry on the fence.
chicken wire frame lamp shade, crafts, repurposing upcycling, A hobnail chenille bedspread that I had used until it was worn completely out was used for its fringes The fringes were grunged too
A hobnail chenille bedspread that I had used until it was worn completely out was used for its fringes. The fringes were grunged too.
chicken wire frame lamp shade, crafts, repurposing upcycling, I ever so slightly ironed it to be easier to work with If you want it to be wrinkled like it dries allow about 2 3 inches more to the cut My cut was 24 inches
I ever so slightly ironed it to be easier to work with. If you want it to be wrinkled like it dries allow about 2 - 3 inches more to the cut. My cut was 24 inches.
chicken wire frame lamp shade, crafts, repurposing upcycling, Close up of the fringe
Close up of the fringe.
chicken wire frame lamp shade, crafts, repurposing upcycling, More of the chenille fringe
More of the chenille fringe
chicken wire frame lamp shade, crafts, repurposing upcycling, The ambiance is so cozy warm and inviting Once you place your chicken wire shade on you will need to adjust it with your fist to make it rounder
The ambiance is so cozy, warm and inviting. Once you place your chicken wire shade on you will need to adjust it with your fist to make it rounder.
chicken wire frame lamp shade, crafts, repurposing upcycling, I just learned The pattern of light cast on a wall by a lampshade is a hyperbola
I just learned: The pattern of light cast on a wall by a lampshade is a hyperbola.
Nancy Dean Davis

Questions on this post

Your question...

Comments

2 of 7 comments
Next