Doily Stenciled Vintage Plates

Give some new life to old crockery and plates with this simple fun craft. Paint your plates using a doily as a stencil to brighten them up and add interest.
This is a really easy craft to do. Paper doilies make a great fun stencil and I have used them in the past to add the wow factor to some plain canvas cushions. This time I decided to give some of my old plates the doily treatment.
doily stenciled vintage plates
All you need is some old plates. If you don't have any they can be picked up very cheaply from thrift stores.
Porcelain paints
Paper doilies a good assortment is best, click here to see them.
Repositionable Adhesive Spray Mount
doily stenciled vintage plates
Using the adhesive spray to position your doily on the plate where you want to stencil. Using a dabbing motion paint on the plate with your porcelain paint.
doily stenciled vintage plates
Once finished, carefully remove the doily. Depending on what kind of porcelain paint you have used, set the paint according to the instructions.
Porcelain paint tends to come in 2 varieties: bake and no bake. Bake tends to be more robust than no bake.
doily stenciled vintage plates
More details are on the blog below.
doily stenciled vintage plates
doily stenciled vintage plates
If you liked this you may want to see my fantastic doily stenciled pillows, Click here to see them.

eBoot White Paper Doily Lace Paper Doilies Round Cake Packaging Paper...
Claire at Pillarboxblue

• Marrianne Rudy

I'm building a cottage in about 4 months. My decor is mid century modern, and I've also got the MCM nautical going on. The kitchen/dining area will be red and white with touches of navy blue. This is the solution to my dilemma which has been finding plates, bowls, etc that can be mixed and matched! I love white dishes, but wanted some imprints of ships, starfish, sea horses, etc. Thank you for posting! I'll be hand stamping my backsplash and now I can "paint" my dishes to match! :)

• Phyllis

After moving too many times I'm finally in my forever place. I hope. I found that I only had 3 dinner plates left. I love your idea for lace stenciled plates. Since I'm a Shabby Chic person these will be perfect!