Planked Dining Room Wall

$170

My dining room is very open with only one long solid wall. It is the first room you can see when you walk into my home. I had been wanting to add some planking on the wall. Originally I wanted to add bead board. I had some bead board wall paper, but it was old and fell off the wall. My ceilings are 10 feet high and solid sheets of bead board would not work. I like ship lap but my handy hubby is not a fan. So off to Lowes and Home Depot to find a compromise.
Finished project. Lowes carries packs of pine, tongue and groove planks. Each pack covers about 9 feet. Each pack costs under 15 dollars. I needed 150 square feet.
The slats were intended to run vertically but we ran them horizontally.. Some of the pieces were a little rough, but I wanted that particular look. We had very little waste.
I think Grandmas 100 + years old table and chairs look beautiful in the room.
We used left over paint samples we already had.
I thinned down the paint with water and painted a coat of paint on each board. My Husband came along behind me and wiped back the paint so it appeared more like a stain.
We used 2 different shades of gray and an aqua color. My husband used his chop saw to cut the planks in varying lengths. He used his nail gun to attach it to the wall.
Here is a close up of the planks.
We love how it turned out. A nice compromise and a nice addition to the wall.
Laying out the planks on our floor before installing.
Starting installing the wall. Note the yellow wall and green ceiling pint. We have since painted all the walls and ceiling in shades of gray.
Almost done. Thanks for looking.

• Pine Planks from Lowes
  • Chop saw
  • Nail gun

Make Your Home a Winter Wonderland With These Stunning Ideas
These Stunning Seating Ideas Will Blow You Away
30 Jewelry Organizing Ideas That Are Better Than a Jewelry Box
15 Unbelievable Ways People Paint Their Walls
30 Unbelievable Backyard Update Ideas
Check Out These Wonderful Gift Ideas You Can Do All By Yourself
Do You Want to Update Your Antique Furniture?
Here's How You Can DIY The Hottest Home Decor Trends of 2018
3 Brilliant Ideas How to Use Photo Frames
30 Adorable DIY Ideas For July 4th
20 Ways To Improve Your Drop Cloth

• Chippie

Very nice indeed. I have plaster walls could I use glue to adhere to this type of wall? Thank you for your post.

• Bonnie

What kind/colors of paint did you use? Any special technique?

• Jennifer

Oops sorry I hit send before I finished. I just thinned the paint I chose with water. I would guess 1 part paint to 3 parts water. Paint it on the board , it was pretty wet and messy. I did multiple boards at a time. My husband followed along with a rag and wiped off the excess..

• Angela johnson

We've been working on the home we bought for a year. A few months ago I asked about the "sample" paint I had been purchasing, and the employees at Sherwinn Williams told me that the "sample" paint was not a good choice for painting. They advised me not to use it for that purpose, but I'm assuming for this a project as this, it's perfectly fine. Due to you wiping it off to look like stain. My question is...Were you advised not to use it? Thanks!!