Beautifying Our Old Shed Back To Life

Have you ever stared at a space in your home, knowing it's going to be completely gutted and redone as soon as you have the time, and finally decide to give it a tiny facelift in the meantime because you hate looking at it?
That's exactly where I was at with our run-down shed in our tiny Queens backyard. This shed is way too small and is kinda falling apart, but it's just not on the top of our long list of things to be reimagined at the moment. But, one afternoon, I got sick of looking at the blank wall and decided to make it useful until we decide to take a sledgehammer to the whole thing. Our postage stamp yard is the only outdoor play space our pup has, so we didn't want to plant anything in it. I thought the side of the shed would be the perfect spot to add color to our back yard. As a professional organizer, I'm always telling my clients to think "up." I did the same thing here. Plants don't always have to go on the ground. We took an old window, mounted it to the wall, and then used fabric wall planters to add life and color. We also love to keep spare wood around for any DIY projects we might dream up. For a while, it just took up what limited space we had on our "patio." So, we also built storage for these planks as well using, well, spare wood!
Sharing our before and afters with you because, while it's not a "forever" project, I think it's important for me to remember temporary fixes can ease my anxiety while we wait for funds and time to haul over a space.
It's much nicer to look at now!
See!? Boring! And a waste of valuable space!
SUPPLIES:
Finish Nailer
16 gauge finish nails
Table Saw
Miter Saw
Scrap Wood
Old Window
Fabric Planter
Plants
5" Wood Screws
3/4" Wood Screws
STEP 1: Add a base to your shed
We started by creating a base for our spare wood storage that will live on the back wall of the shed. The inside of the shed isn't drywalled, so we knew exactly where the studs were without a stud finder. We secured old 2x4's to the shed with 5" wood screws and the finish nailer.
STEP 2: Build frame sides
We then ripped "posts" from scrap wood we had with our table saw. We secured these posts from underneath our shelf with 5" wood screws. Then, we began to clad the "frame" with pallet wood cut to size.
STEP 3: Add a brace
We added a brace to the bottom for extra support. Our temporary storage was ready to be filled with scrap wood!
All this wood is about to find a home!
STEP 4: Hang your window
Next up was making the main wall on our shed tolerable to look at. I had an old window laying around that I didn't want to use inside the house. We even had the ledge that was originally underneath it! Again, we located the studs and made marks on the shed. We then drilled pilot holes through the window frame and into the shed wall.
STEP 5: Hang your ledges
We didn't have an L brace lying around, so we used an old 4x4 post and secured it to the studs. The ledge we had will then be screwed to this post.
Just like this.
STEP 6: Add fabric planter shutters
I then wanted to give my window "shutters." We hung fabric planters to the wall using 3/4" wood screws. To give it a finished look, we framed it with spare wood. The frame is 2" around with mitered edges.
STEP 7: Add your plants
Add plants! We toyed with planting herbs instead of flowers, but we agreed that our fixer upper backyard needed color, even if temporary. We played around with a plant layout and then added top soil and water to make sure these plants got accustomed to their new home!
There you go! This shed is all dressed up - for now! We can't wait to demo this baby, but until then, it won't be so offensive to look at! ;)

• JeanMarie Sullivan

Clever and attractive, but why not wash the moldy lower exterior wall with bleach water? Perhaps KILZ too.Then give a coat of white paint.

• Treia Stitzer

Everyone so worried about the bottom part, I have a better suggestion. Get a bottle of hunter green craft paint and a sea sponge, using the sponge to paint the bottom to look like grass along the bottom. Just wet the sponge with paint and dab it on in irregular shapes to look like there is something is growing there. Kind of fun to do. Or leave it like it is. Lol

• Diena Cameron

Hi Sarah K. Love, love, love your whole project ! The wood storage is a wonderful way to hide it and get it up off the ground. The window and fabric planters are so cute that I thinking of doing the same thing ! I realized that this is an older post so I was wondering if you had made any other improvements since and if you have, would love to see them ??? Thanks 😍

• Robyn Garner

Can you post how you made the fabric planting shutters? They're terrific!

• Jo Wemmer

It’s on the materials list. 5 gallon grow bags. You could make your own if you sew. Using landscaping tarp.