Growing Hosta ( the Perfect Shade Plant)

Hostas are not difficult to grow but are site specific in that they require shade or at least part shade. They are vigorous growers but simply cannot not handle the direct hot sun. Sun positions will burn the leaves in a very short time. They also require a good, rich, moist soil that is well draining during the winter. They really are an ideal plant for woodland gardens and shady corners.
For more info on hosta and an extensive list of great cultivars to grow categorized by size and colour read:
http://sensiblegardening.com/growing-hosta/
Hosta in bloom. Many are very fragrant.
Hosta come in a variety of sizes, colours and leaf textures.
Some Hosta leaves have beautiful white or cream margins.
Some varieties are huge for specimen planting.
Hosta are effective planted in mass plantings.
Lavender flowers on hosta.

31 Brilliant Ways To Repurpose Everyday Items Into Perfect Organizers
15 Memorial Day Crafts
18 Ideas to Keep You From Feeling Blue
Valentine's Day Is Getting Closer! Get Ready With These Lovely Ideas
Sensible Gardening and Living

• Jackie Moraira
    Jackie Moraira

How do keep rabbits from eating hostas?
  • Kimberly Andrews Booth
    Kimberly Andrews Booth

I have a couple of hostas that are planted in a well drained area in the shade. One of them just will not grow. I've had this happen everytime I plant them. What causes that and how can I make it grow. I've even tried miracle grow to no avail.
    • Tri24961412
      Tri24961412

Ask a local nursery where to send a soil sample. Or Do what I did, Ended up digging all the soil out of that area and replaced it with compost and miracle gro garden soil. Now it's fine.
  • Usm24946168
    Usm24946168

my hostas problem is a cute little chipmunk... I have 5 beautiful-huge hostas along the front of the house. One is short-smaller in size. I found 2 chipmunk holes leading to this one plant. Tried just about everything I know to keep the little critter away and nothing seems to work Any new ideas. my next plan is to trap and relocate him to the country-side.

• Deb Allenbaugh
    Deb Allenbaugh

Mine have been in full sun for years and do great ! Yes even in the hot humid Pa. summers .
  • Eroque022810
    Eroque022810

Mine were in complete shade and looked awful, so I moved them to a mostly shady spot this year and am hoping for growth and healthy looking hostas. They weren't being eaten so not sure why they didn't do well. Wish me luck.