DIY Reclaimed Wood Bed

$100

Hey guys! I’m so excited to share our DIY Reclaimed Wood Bed with you, Hometalkers. This is an older project – something that my husband built over a year ago. When we were setting up the bed in our new master bedroom in the new house (check out the pre-reno tour here!), I decided to snap a few photos to share with you. Any handy man (or woman!) should be able to take a good look at the photos and recreate. This post is not a detailed tutorial (because I didn’t take any photos when he was actually building it!). I don’t take ANY credit for this, it’s all my amazing husband. I just pointed at the pictures of inspiration I liked.
diy reclaimed wood bed, bedroom ideas, woodworking projects

The base of the bed is three parts essentially – 2 side rails and the foot. The 2 side rails and foot are basic boxes with vertical supports. To get the basic measurements, he measured our mattress.

We used reclaimed wood (mostly pallet and some other types of reclaimed wood for variety in size and color) on the exterior of the base. Almost everything you can see when looking at the exterior of the bed is reclaimed and everything on the inside (what mostly holds it together) is new wood.

We opted for this because many times you’ll discover the reclaimed wood is warped, damaged or not as strong as you’d like it to… but give it a break, it’s had a long life already!

It’s important to note that the reclaimed wood comes up a little higher than the side rails & foot, creating about a 2 inch lip. This helps prevent the mattress from sliding around.

You can see Gannon (our dog) was, as always, a big helper!

Each corner is joined with two large bolts.

Head on over to the blog post to see about how the rest of the DIY Reclaimed Wood Bed was made.

Chelsea @ Making Manzanita