Painting over paneling

+7
Our living room has wainscoting all around the bottom half. We are going to paint but does anyone have ideas for a fireplace that is all paneling. I don't believe I want to paint it as we are the bottom paneling.
  • Barbara Tremain Dodge Barbara Tremain Dodge on Sep 02, 2016
    If you can post photos, it would be helpful. :)
  • William William on Sep 02, 2016
    When I redid my fireplace surround, I painted it a shade darker than the room as it is a focal point. http://www.hometalk.com/15815323/fireplace-re...
  • Jim L Jim L on Sep 03, 2016
    Seeing a photo is really necessary.
  • LLC LLC on Sep 03, 2016
    We have painted paneling several times over the years. What has worked for us is a thorough cleaning with something like TSP, prime with Kills and, caulk the groves and smooth with wetted thumb or finger or whatever you are comfortable using; then paint in the color of your choice. Hope this helps!
  • Missbev Missbev on Sep 03, 2016
    There is a new thin stone/brick veneer that many people are using to reface fire place surrounds. But I also like the idea of painting it a shade darker than the room color.
    • Barbara Barbara on Sep 04, 2016
      we were looking at the stone veneer .My husband wantsto do the botom up to the mantel and paint the upper part!
  • Diana Deiley Diana Deiley on Sep 03, 2016
    LLC has it down perfect. I do the exact same thing, except fill in the grooves, and have painted lots of paneling. Easy peasy. Best of luck.
  • Missbev Missbev on Sep 04, 2016
    I'm planning on using it outside on my front porch to give it a craftsman look. Post pics of your fireplace when you get it done :)
  • Cindy Hagemann Cindy Hagemann on Sep 04, 2016
    Why not? I love painted paneling - it has a real cottage look that is on trend right now. Just wipe it down, use a primer and then paint it any color you want. Or remove it and see what is underneath.
  • Pat Kelley Pat Kelley on Sep 05, 2016
    I painted my fireplace it turn out really nice.