Here's How We Transformed Our Backyard From Dead Grass

From dead and dying grass to this easy-care and eye-pleasing yard..
We removed all the dead grass, sprayed with roundup a couple times, dug down a few inches and leveled it, and added a slight slant away from the patio for drainage. We then added the landscapers cloth and the rock, then placed all my potted plants/succulents. It's so much nicer than looking at dead and dying grass, as this California drought is not going to end anytime soon.
This it the wrong side of yard.
Starting to arrange the plants.
This is looking from the upper level down to the lower. That garden on the lower level used to be a pond that DH built, but we had to dismantle it due to his health. So I turned it into another succulent garden. Works great.
Looking up at the garden from the lower level. We are right next to a canyon, so we get lots of critters that like to dig up what we planted. We ut everything in pots in order to prevent that.
More potted plants.
And more.
This is the fence we put up many years ago, since our next door neighbors yard looks like Sanford and Sons yard. We used to have chainlink, but i couldn't stand to have to see all his junk, so this is how we solved the problem. It's a powder coated galvanized steel fence. Our other neighbor got the supplies for us, and he and my sons put it up. It's been up over 20 plus years, and still looks good. It will last forever.
Hope you enjoy the view of my backyard.

• Cflyncker

What kind of ROCKS were used? Was it expensive? Love the low maintenance and the variety of EZ care plants too. Thanks for sharing and posting!

• Peg penater

I love succulents here in the heart of Texas. My "kill" rate is much lower. Lol

• Donna Hagen

What kind of plant is that with the square leaves in the 2nd to the last picture Is it an annual and does it flower?

• Gretchen Dietz

See the response to the 2nd question on post up above - it's a succulent called a Crassula cv. Baby Necklace. I love it.

• Lau10133358

I've never heard of a calif drought? What is that?

• Sally Suyko Twitty

Texas and New Mexico use the same landscaping because it is hot and dry. Also water saving and economical.

• Nancy

Love it and love the sun face's wher did u purchace them im into them big🌞☀️🌞

• Kathi Davis

I got those at a yard sale many years ago,think i only paid 3.00 for all of them.Don't know why the one is losing it's color,i need to find a paint to re paint it.

• Ros28716179

Absolutely gorgeous garden!! I live in Fla. and you've given me some ideas for a part of my back yard. Thank you for sharing!!