Craft Organizer Made From 80's Music Holders

$25.00

Craft organization is always needed at our house.
I collected some old 80's cassette tape holders, a CD holder, one VHS holder and an old stereo case to create something pretty spectacular. Total cost...$25 plus paint that I already had and hardware that was provided by D. Lawless Hardware.
I had used a cassette tape holder before for storage on our bedside table so I knew they were great for that.
I started out with three cassette tape holders, a CD holder and a VHS holder that I collected from various thrift stores and friends.
Of course they were all different widths, heights, and depths.
So I got this stereo cabinet at the Goodwill for $5 to hold it all together. We also added 4 more shelves. You can see that in the final photo.
Remember all of these? Wow. They are pretty old. Anyway, everything got a good coat of white primer (Rust Oleum white flat paint/primer) then I painted the stereo unit with Americana Decor Chalky Finish in Vintage. This is my favorite color. And I gave the drawer units a nice coat of paint.
I used my paint sprayer for all of the painting.
Jeff made a new top for the entire thing out of lath and I painted the top with a brown, watered down latex so the wood grain would show through. I brushed this on instead of using the sprayer.
This project was part of the Fab Furniture Flippin Contest and the sponsor was D. Lawless Hardware. They sent me the label holder drawer pulls in exchange for my post. I love these things!
They are a great company. Last August they sponsored this contest and I made this awesome Coffee Station. You will have to check it out!
There is even a free printable you can download.
After the drawer pulls were on we stacked it all together adding the 4 shelves in between to help with the different sizes. This made it all feel a little more cohesive as well.
And this is how it all turned out!
What do you think? I love it and I can't wait to fill it up and get it labeled. You can see more details and more photos on the blog.
Many of you have asked to see the inside of the drawers and what I will be storing in them. Or you have questions as to how I am dealing with some of the quirks of these cassette, cd and vhs drawers. I have updated my blog post with photos so you can now see what it looks like on the inside too. I hope you will re-visit to check it out!
You can also see other projects I have done as well.

Michelle James

• Karen

Did you put a back on the stereo cabinet

• Michelle James

I did not put a back on it. In fact I took off the cardboard weird piece that was there and left it open. I wanted to be able to get to the back in case something falls out of the drawers. I figured that would be the easy way to get at it.

• Creatress

Michelle, did you pre-drill the holes for the screws? Any splitting of the plastic?

• Mellie

What did you do about the dividers in side the drawers?

• Tammie

Michelle James----tried to get to your blog but don't see the link in this article (I am not too tech-savy)----could you please provide here? Thanks, and sorry in advance if it was obvious and I just missed it!