Craft Organizer Made From 80's Music Holders

$25.00

Craft organization is always needed at our house.
I collected some old 80's cassette tape holders, a CD holder, one VHS holder and an old stereo case to create something pretty spectacular. Total cost...$25 plus paint that I already had and hardware that was provided by D. Lawless Hardware.
I had used a cassette tape holder before for storage on our bedside table so I knew they were great for that.
I started out with three cassette tape holders, a CD holder and a VHS holder that I collected from various thrift stores and friends.
Of course they were all different widths, heights, and depths.
So I got this stereo cabinet at the Goodwill for $5 to hold it all together. We also added 4 more shelves. You can see that in the final photo.
Remember all of these? Wow. They are pretty old. Anyway, everything got a good coat of white primer (Rust Oleum white flat paint/primer) then I painted the stereo unit with Americana Decor Chalky Finish in Vintage. This is my favorite color. And I gave the drawer units a nice coat of paint.
I used my paint sprayer for all of the painting.
Jeff made a new top for the entire thing out of lath and I painted the top with a brown, watered down latex so the wood grain would show through. I brushed this on instead of using the sprayer.
This project was part of the Fab Furniture Flippin Contest and the sponsor was D. Lawless Hardware. They sent me the label holder drawer pulls in exchange for my post. I love these things!
They are a great company. Last August they sponsored this contest and I made this awesome Coffee Station. You will have to check it out!
There is even a free printable you can download.
After the drawer pulls were on we stacked it all together adding the 4 shelves in between to help with the different sizes. This made it all feel a little more cohesive as well.
And this is how it all turned out!
What do you think? I love it and I can't wait to fill it up and get it labeled. You can see more details and more photos on the blog.
Many of you have asked to see the inside of the drawers and what I will be storing in them. Or you have questions as to how I am dealing with some of the quirks of these cassette, cd and vhs drawers. I have updated my blog post with photos so you can now see what it looks like on the inside too. I hope you will re-visit to check it out!
You can also see other projects I have done as well.

Spring Cleaning Tricks for the Kitchen
31 Astounding Things You Didn't Know You Could Do With Contact Paper
Spruce Up Your Plain Lamp With One Of These Great Ideas
30 Creative Painting Techniques & Ideas You MUST See
31 Ways To Get Privacy Inside And Outside Your Home
15 Memorial Day Crafts
24 Update Ideas To Make Your Kitchen Look Fabulous
29 Ways To Get A Splash Of Blue In Your House
21 Small Things You Can Do to Beautify Your Home This Weekend
15 Unique Father's Day Crafts
Instantly Upgrade Your Living Space With These Amazing DIY Ideas
13 DIY Projects That Scream Canada
18 Ideas to Keep You From Feeling Blue
Michelle James

• Karen

Did you put a back on the stereo cabinet

• Michelle James

I did not put a back on it. In fact I took off the cardboard weird piece that was there and left it open. I wanted to be able to get to the back in case something falls out of the drawers. I figured that would be the easy way to get at it.

• Creatress

Michelle, did you pre-drill the holes for the screws? Any splitting of the plastic?

• Mellie

What did you do about the dividers in side the drawers?

• Tammie

Michelle James----tried to get to your blog but don't see the link in this article (I am not too tech-savy)----could you please provide here? Thanks, and sorry in advance if it was obvious and I just missed it!

• LanieSue

I have a BUNCH of these tape holders. Used to get them at Walgreens, of all places. Don't know that I'll go through the painting, but putting drawer pulls on them, maybe. Right now they are stacked in an IKEA bookcase, in a storage closet. They can stay right there. Have been saying for ages that I need to get rid of the tapes, but always tho't I'd get rid of the cases at the same time. Nope. My mind is whirling thinking of the storage space in there for my little apartment. Thank you!

• Necee Marie

Great upcycled project!! Looks very nice!