'Inspire' Themed Office Decor

$0

When Cori announced that Hometalk was redecorating its New York offices and was looking for decor items, it was game on! She put a challenge out to the community to come up with DIY creations that would inspire. She even added an optional caveat to incorporate some element of Hometalk such as the teal colour, the word Hometalk or the logo.

I wanted to create something that would inspire the staff as much as the site inspires me to be creative so I took the challenge to heart. Afterall, our office space is a home-away-from-home (or closer than that if you’re lucky enough to work at home).

I came up with three different, but easy, office inspired decor projects that staff could use to embellish their own personal office space - with form and function in mind! I upcycled several items I already had and sourced the rest from the dollar store.

I chose to use Hometalk's logo in these designs, but you're only limited by your own creativity and these can be adapted to any shape! Project One: Test Tube 'Inspire' Flower Arrangement
Who doesn't want to add a little beauty in their office space in the form of fresh flowers? This project uses the following items:

Supply List:
  1. A 9 3/4" square cork trivet (I got mine at Ikea)
  2. Part of a binder clip - or 3M strips - as a hanging device
  3. Those little plastic tubes you get with floral arrangements (courtesy of hubs who buys me flowers - a lot!)
  4. Sheet of acetate
  5. Large vinyl coated eye hooks (1 - 3/4")
  6. Paint (teal and white) Glue gun & glue
  7. Push pin

I actually did the first two projects at the same time because they were cut to two different sizes and I was able to use the extra cork from the smaller project as the centre of the larger one.

Start by scaling the hometalk logo. The large one is scaled to fit an 8 1/2" x 11" piece of paper and the small one is scales to 6 1/2". Draw both the outer and inner outline and cut the paper out. Trace the logo onto the cork with a pen (I traced it onto the back of the cork, but you could do it from the front instead).
Here you can see the size difference between the first two projects:
Cut the cork pieces out. Hubs used a bandsaw to cut most of the pieces for me, but I also used a dollar store fine tooth hack saw on the centre section (it was slow but worked just fine).

Take a piece of 100 grit sandpaper and round over any square cut edges to match the rest of the trivet. I find that a beveled sanding sponge is also useful to help round over the edges.
Paint the outer piece blue and the centre piece of cork you cut out of scrap in white paint. You can either spray or brush it on with a foam brush.

Print out the word 'inspire', place it under a sheet of acetate and place a self healing cutting mat under your work. Then cut out the stencil with an X-acto knife and position it over the cork. Using white paint on a very dry brush, pounce it over the lettering to keep the paint from bleeding under the stencil. If you do get some bleeding, you can touch it up with a fine brush with the blue. I also outlined it with a fine black marker to give it some definition (as you can see, I tested it first on the cork with my initial which will be hidden later with another piece of cork!)
For the centre, figure out the positioning for the eye hooks and pierce starter holes with a toothpick. Flip it over and add double face tape onto the back. Peel off the tape and position on the front of the larger piece of cork. Using the starter holes, screw in the eye hooks and position them so that they are pointing to one side. You need to have this double layer of cord to accommodate the depth of the screw, otherwise it will poke out the back! Add the plastic test tubes to rest in the loop of the eye hooks.
Squeeze to remove one half of a binder clip arm and hot glue onto the back of the cork at the top to act as a hanging loop (you can glue a scrap piece of felt or foam over the ends to prevent it from scratching the surface it will be mounted to). You can then use a push pin to attach the hanging loop to your cubicle wall! Alternatively, you could use 3M strips if mounting to a wall.
All that's left is to go out a buy a few flower stems to complete it. Lift out the tubes, remove the tops and fill the tubes with water. Cut the stems and insert through the top first and then pop the top back onto the tube; close tightly. Project Two: Business Card and Post-It Note Organizer
Can you guess what the business card holder is? It's one half of an old tape cassette plastic shell!

Supply List:
  1. Post-it notes
  2. Cork Trivet
  3. Cassette tape case White foam
  4. Part of a binder clip - or 3M strips - as a hanging device
  5. Double face tape
  6. Glue gun & glue Paint (teal only)
  7. Push pin

Follow the steps above to cut and paint your piece. The middle section of this one is made of white foam instead of cork. Open the cassette case and take out the tape and paper. The two pieces of the 'hinge' can be separated giving you a pocket piece to hold some of your business cards.
Position the tape cassette tape case under the white foam. Once happy with the positioning, double face tape it to the cork. Apply double face tape to the foam and position it onto the cork and over the top portion of the cassette tape case to hide the edge.
Once everything is stuck down, you can add some sticky notes to the centre. If you can find white to blend in with the foam, all the better (I just used what I had on-hand). Hubs used a chop saw to cut the bottom of a regular stack of Post-it notes into the shape of a house to mimic the Hometalk Logo. I only did this for demonstration purposes for this post and I wouldn't do it again: paper flew everywhere and it was hard to clamp so probably not the safest thing to cut. We made sure we were not cutting the top side with the glue or we'd be cutting away all the adhesive!
Add the other half of the binder clip arm as you did in the first project and hang. You can velcro a pen to the side if you wish, as shown in the project three. If you like, you can also add some scissors by attaching another cup hook. The backer board shown below is made of wood and I didn't end up using it for this particular project or adding the scissors because I went with a smaller size and used the cork again. As an option, I could have completed this one and added dry erase film as the white centre to make this into a dry erase message board.
The options are endless! For my own office in my craft room-in-progress, I would use cork in a round shape and fashion my trademark Birdz of a Feather logo into a message board using chalk board paint on one side and dry erase film on the other.
Project Three: Desk Top Dry Erase 'Inspire' To-Do Board

The last project is a dry erase to-do board for the desk top. All you need is a 4" x 6" frame from the dollar store with glass that slides out, a dry erase marker, some card stock, a printer and self adhesive velcro.

Supply List:
  1. Dollar store frame
  2. Card stock
  3. Printer with colour ink
  4. Dry erase pen
  5. Self-sticking velcro
I used illustrator to design the to-do list. I added 'inspire' down the side and made it transparent so it would fade into the background but still be noticeable. If you want to print your own Hometalk to-do list/dry erase board, visit my website to get the pdf so you can make your own! Once printed, cut the card to 4" x 6" with a paper cutter.
Add a small piece of self adhesive velcro onto the dry erase marker and the side of the picture frame stand so you can keep them together (rough side goes on the frame). Slip the cardstock behind the glass, write our your to-do list and you're ready to tackle your day. I still have that piece of wooden board left that I showed earlier and have come up with a few more office decor projects. I won't divulge what they are just yet; you'll just have to follow my blog if you're curious to see them once they're posted! At Birdz of a Feather, we're feathering the nest... one room at a time.

If this project has inspired you, please pin and share on Facebook.

For more inspiring ideas, in and around the home, follow our blog here on Hometalk and/ or Birdz of a Feather (link below this post where you see our logo). You can also follow us on:

Pinterest: http://bit.ly/BirdzPIN
Facebook: http://bit.ly/BirdzFB
YouTube: http://bit.ly/BirdzYT
Instagram: http://bit.ly/BirdzIG

• Cork  (Ikea)
  • Tape cassette  (Own collection)

15 Fun Things You Can Make Using Your Cricut
Does Your Staircase Need an Update?
30 Creative Painting Techniques & Ideas You MUST See
15 Memorial Day Crafts
Add A Hint Of Farmhouse Style In Your Home With These Ideas
Check Out These 30 Incredible Sharpie Makeovers
30 Adorable DIY Ideas For July 4th
Birdz of a Feather