Lisa Cestkowski
Lisa Cestkowski
  • Columbus, WI

Ohio Star Chair

I fixed an old chair that was falling apart, applied a fresh coat of chalk paint to it and painted an Ohio star quilt block pattern on the seat. Then I distressed the edges of the chair and sealed it with a coat of antique wax.
ohio star chair, how to, outdoor furniture, painted furniture, painting wood furniture
Step 1: I started with a chair that was literally falling apart. The first thing I had to do was assess the damage and buy a dowel to replace a missing spindle.
Step 2: I glued all the spindles, including the new dowel I had bought to replace the missing one, into place.
Step 3: I sanded the chair to get rid of the shiny, blotchy gloss varnish.
Step 4: I basecoated the chair with some black chalk paint.
Step 5: I made a 12-inch by 12-inch pattern out of a piece of newspaper and centered that on the chair seat.
Step 6: I traced around the pattern with a white colored pencil.
Step 7: I measured and marked every 3 inches around the square and then connected the dots to create a grid.
Step 8: Using a straight edge, I drew lines from corner to corner to turn my squares into triangles.
Step 9: I wrote a "W" on each triangle I wanted to paint white.
Step 10: I painted the triangles with white chalk paint.
Step 11: Once all my white triangles were filled in, I erased the lines I had drawn with the colored pencil.
Step 12: This was already an old chair with cracks in the wood. To make the paint job match the chair's aged appearance, I distressed the edges with some fine grit sandpaper.
Step 13: I applied some antique wax with a soft rag and wiped off the excess.
Step 14: When the wax was dry, I buffed it with a clean dry cloth.
Here's the finished chair.

• Americana Decor Chalky Finish Paint  (Jo-Ann Fabric and Craft Store)
  • Folk Art Home Decor Antique Wax  (Jo-Ann Fabric and Craft Store)
Lisa Cestkowski

• Rog2003217

wouldn't it be better to varnish the chair as waxing needs to be done on a regular basis?

• Lisa Cestkowski

Varnish is definitely longer lasting. I just like the look of wax better, especially over chalk paint. It leaves a totally flat finish and it doesn't yellow like a lot of varnishes do.

• Jennie Lee

Is there a particular reason you chose to sand off the varnish instead of using something like Citristrip? (I recently discovered Citristrip, and I love it.)

• Lisa Cestkowski

Citristrip is great especially if you've got multiple layers of paint to remove, but this chair only had one coat of varnish to take off. I knew I could do it pretty quickly with my sander.

• Beverly Luke

In step 11 you said you erased your lines with colored pencil but I see an eraser lying on the chair. Which did you use?

• Lisa Cestkowski

Sorry. My wording was unclear. I drew the lines with the colored pencil. I erased them with the pink eraser you see in the picture.