What to do about nutsedge coming into my yard?

I used to have my fescue backyard professionally fertilized but after having a dog in it beginning 8 years ago, I stopped having it fertilized. Last September I decided to try some things my self and overseeded it. It looked great until a few weeks ago when the heat started coming back. I also noticed a large area where nutsedge has sprouted. I need to know what I should do to control it with the time for overseeding coming on. I've got Image to use on the nutsedge. I assume I can use it now but how soon after use can I aerate and overseed?
  • HellenK HellenK on Aug 29, 2013
    U can try to removing plants and tubers. Tubers are key to nutsedge survival. If you can limit production of tubers, you'll eventually control the nutsedge itself. To limit tuber production, remove small nutsedge plants before they have 5 to 6 leaves; in summer this is about every 2 to 3 weeks. Up to this stage, the plant hasn't formed new tubers yet. Removing as much of the plant as possible will force the tuber to produce a new plant, drawing its energy reserves from tuber production to the production of new leaves. Continually removing shoots eventually depletes the energy reserves in the tuber, because the nutsedge will have to use 60% of its reserves to develop the first plant and 20% for the second. However, mature tubers can resprout more than 3 times. Even though these newer sprouts start out weaker than the previous ones, plants can develop from them and produce new tubers unless you remove them. The best way to remove small plants is to pull them up by hand or to hand hoe. If you hoe, be sure to dig down at least 8 to 14 inches to remove the entire plant. Using a tiller to destroy mature plants only will spread the infestation, because it will move the tubers around in the soil. However, repeated tillings of small areas before the plants have 6 leaves will reduce populations. If you find nutsedge in small patches in your turf, dig out the patch down to at least 8 inches deep, refill, and then seed or sod the patch. By the way, I googled this, and this is the Cultural Control.
    • See 1 Previous
    • Tom Tom on Aug 30, 2013
      @HellenK : Thank you for your reply. I've heard on our local Saturday morning lawn and garden radio show about these underground villains and their contributions to the production of this plant but I'm still of the mindset of "better living through chemistry"...but I'm doing better as I get older. :-) I have a rather large area (perhaps 30 SF) of this stuff that appeared this summer almost right where I had a pile of leaves that didn't get bagged up until May. Remember, my weed and feed guys haven't been in my back yard for about 4 years now so I'm trying to do what I can reasonably do on my own to keep my yard reasonably nice even with my yard being a "dog park". I'd like to try to use Image right now to try to kill it off before I get out and aerate and overseed
  • Judy Judy on Aug 31, 2013
    My roommate worked for a blueberry grower & took a course on pesticides/herbicides use & safety. He says the only thing that will kill nutsedge is Basagran. http://www.pestmall.com/basagran-sedge-control-42-bentazon-pint.html?gclid=CKrNn8nGqLkCFeZxQgodfjgAoA