Coffee Can Jack O' Lanterns With Lights!

I am a huge coffee fan! HUGE! I seriously live on that delicious stuff. Needless to say, I have a ton of coffee cans laying around and I love doing crafts with them. Here is my coffee can Jack o' lantern.

Coffee Can Jack O' Lantern
DIY Coffee Can Jack O' Lantern

Tools and Materials

• coffee cans
  • marker
  • hammer
  • awl
  • paint
  • paintbrush
  • LED lights
  • decor

Draw a Face

Draw a Face

First draw a face on your coffee can. If you don't want it to light up, you can go right into priming. Some coffee cans have a label or sticker wrapped around them that you'll need to remove. These coffee cans don't.

Pound Holes into the Cans

Pound Holes into the Cans

The easiest way to pound holes into these bad boys is with a "craft awl" or something like it. Nails and drills are tricky to use and will dent your coffee can. These craft awls are only a couple buckaroos and can be found in any craft store. They are usually used to make jewelry.

Outline Face with Holes

I think these cans look great all lit up, so I outline the faces I drew on them with holes.

Coffee Can Upcycle

Be careful sticking your hands in the can after you make the holes. Some of the backs of the holes will be jagged. You can tape something plastic to the inside like a file or folder. Plastic folders come in a variety of colors too, so you can create some pretty cool looking lights.

Paint

Paint

I used an "all" surface primer I bought over here in Japan on the cans and lids. When it dried I painted on a black base coat. You'll need to re-poke some holes if paint dries over them.

Paint the Face

I mixed some black paint and wood glue to paint on the faces. You can buy a black paint marker if you find making straight lines difficult. I used a water based antiquing liquid on the orange to give it a kind of worn look too.

Add Lights

Add Lights

This is what they look like with a dollar store push light in them. If you're not getting a bright enough light, wrap some foil around the back of the inside to reflect the light forward. Remember that you can change the color of the light by using a colored transparent plastic file or folder.

Add Decor

Add Decor

I used a piece of dried branch I found outside for the top of the lid. I super glued it on and then used a hot glue gun to give textures. I painted the wood and hot glue with matte black and when it dried I went over it with a watered down brown

DIY Jack O' Lantern
DIY Halloween Decor

For more, come check out Bryan's Workshop on Facebook!

3 Gorgeous Decor Projects In The Oh-So-Chic Geometric Style
Step-by-Step Painting Techniques You'll Want to Try!
31 Astounding Things You Didn't Know You Could Do With Contact Paper
30 Great Ideas For Every Pet Owner!
3 Easy Ways To Upgrade Your Pillows To A High End Look
30 Unbelievable Backyard Update Ideas
Hide Your Couch's Wear and Tear With These Great Ideas
26 Adorable Ornament Ideas to Get You REALLY Excited for Christmas
Jazz Up Your Bathroom With These 30 Stylish Additions
30 Different Ways to DIY an Adorable Snowman This Winter
30 Great Mason Jar Ideas You Have To Try

To see more: http://www.facebook.com/bryansworkshop