Coffee Can Jack O' Lanterns With Lights!

I am a huge coffee fan! HUGE! I seriously live on that delicious stuff. Needless to say, I have a ton of coffee cans laying around and I love doing crafts with them. Here is my coffee can Jack o' lantern.
coffee can jack o lanterns with lights , crafts, halloween decorations, how to, seasonal holiday decor
First draw a face on your coffee can. If you don't want it to light up, you can go right into priming. Some coffee cans have a label or sticker wrapped around them that you'll need to remove. These coffee cans don't.
The easiest way to pound holes into these bad boys is with a "craft awl" or something like it. Nails and drills are tricky to use and will dent your coffee can. These craft awls are only a couple buckaroos and can be found in any craft store. They are usually used to make jewelry.
I think these cans look great all lit up, so I outline the faces I drew on them with holes.
Be careful sticking your hands in the can after you make the holes. Some of the backs of the holes will be jagged. You can tape something plastic to the inside like a file or folder. Plastic folders come in a variety of colors too, so you can create some pretty cool looking lights.
I used an "all" surface primer I bought over here in Japan on the cans and lids. When it dried I painted on a black base coat. You'll need to re-poke some holes if paint dries over them.
I mixed some black paint and wood glue to paint on the faces. You can buy a black paint marker if you find making straight lines difficult. I used a water based antiquing liquid on the orange to give it a kind of worn look too.
This is what they look like with a dollar store push light in them. If you're not getting a bright enough light, wrap some foil around the back of the inside to reflect the light forward. Remember that you can change the color of the light by using a colored transparent plastic file or folder.
I used a piece of dried branch I found outside for the top of the lid. I super glued it on and then used a hot glue gun to give textures. I painted the wood and hot glue with matte black and when it dried I went over it with a watered down brown
For more, come check out Bryan's Workshop on Facebook!

To see more: http://www.facebook.com/bryansworkshop

• Roberta Honeycutt

Would love to know where you get real coffee "cans". I can't find coffee in anything except for plastic or some kind of paper composite

• Bryan's Workshop

I live in Japan, but Walmarts website has coffee in cans and so does Costco. You can also use a paint can. I hope you're able to find them! Good Luck!

• I've done something similar with large (24oz.) vegetable cans and, since I have 3 teenage boys and buy a lot of "bulk" items, #10 cans that vegetables come in. If you know anyone who owns or works in a restaurant, ask them if they'll save cans for you.

• Dl.5660408

Safeway's store brand comes in metal cans

• Marie Oriol-Lavalle

Coffee isn't the only produce sold in cans. Peanuts, fruit, corn, and several other foods are sold in large cans.

• Lynne Zemke

The plastic cans work also. You can use the handle as a nose, or just turn it around and use the back side. Holes are easier to make. Could punch the smaller lights thru to make them more visible.

• Christy Roppel

Of course, if you use a plastic "can", you'll need to use a faux candle :)

• Susan

Dollar General has great coffee in metal cans! It is Country Sunshine Coffee, 33 oz. and sells r $5.99.

• I have an idea; how about cardboard "cans" or barrels? Like what oatmeal comes in, or even smaller ones like the breadcrumb "cans"? Just a thought....

• Bryan's Workshop

Awesome idea with the cardboard cans and barrels!! They'd be easier to paint too! I hope I can find some in Japan! :)

• Two18003061

You could also possibly use the large popcorn tins that everyone seems to give/get at Christmas!

• Teg31271377

use the little lights (solar) and poke thru holes !

• Nadine Hartman Bourne

If you shop at Costco their Kirkland brand coffee is in cans.

• Bonbon

Bryan, would you please share a simular creation or 2 using a Christmas theme. I like the way you present your neat (cool) ideas. Bonbon

• Tkendall

I Definitely want to try this next Halloween thank you for sharing!