Whoah! Now That's a Door!!

Clearly the picture below does not deserve the above title. I just wanted you to see how bad and boring the original was zzzzz😴
Now you know me and colour. So time to open some paint.
Oh yes! Now we're starting to get there but this is a long journey and I'm feeling the need of another tin of paint....
Hmm. Don't you just love opening a fresh tin of paint in glorious colours. Now let me at that door.....
Apologies for the 'soft tone' of this photograph, which is just me being bad at photography. I hope you get the idea anyway. I'm liking this so far but I need more than paint for this job.
Out comes my trusty glue gun, cutting mat and some frameworks of balsa. It's starting to get really interesting now. I do love being caught up in a project. Now where are all those toilet paper and kitchen roll cardboard inners I've been squirrelling for this project.
I bet you're getting the idea of what this girl's up to now. I have to thank Susan Myers for previously posting how to make faux metal on Hometalk before. I did say I'd steel the idea Susan. So this is me caught in the act.
Spray painting the finished frames in the garden. OK I admit I now officially have silver dustbin lids... Guilty as charged. But now for the fun bit.
I have to say I'm really excited about this bit... So far so good. Keeping my fingers crossed I haven't gone too far of the map of life.
I have to admit that I love it!! It took a lot of patience but the finished effect adds to my room so much. I hope you like it too. I'm considering aging it a bit but for now I'll enjoy the silver. Let me know if you think aging would add or detract. Your comments are invaluable to me. Oh and let me Thank Susan Myers again.

• Tin of plum paint, tin of pink paint. Brushes etc. For the faux metal: toilet paper and kitchen r  (All materials available from the DIY store. Balsa wood bought from Evans art store)

• Tina Intervallo Budde

What is tp ??

• Kathrine Connery

Sorry Tina I should have made that clearer in the post. I had ano ever growing stash of the inner cardboard tubes from toilet paper rolls and kitchen rolls. I'don't been collecting as I had this idea in mind for a while.

• Older Tin Roof

How did you attach to the door?

• Kathrine Connery

Hi Marietta, Because the finished faux metal frames are very light I used glue strips. It's like a role of tape but it has a very sticky line of glue down the centre. You rub it on then lift the top tape off and you have a very sticky line of glue ready to press into place. I think it's also called glue dots sometimes. I hope that helps.

• Darrel Rose

For the fillagree design did you use toilet paper rolls to make those designs inside the balsa wood, you did not say in your post I am a little confused

• Kathrine Connery

Hi Darrell, it's a combination of toilet paper tubes cut into strips, that are the perfect size for the hearts. Then kitchen roll tubes for the larger shapes. The very long strips are pieces joined together. Ifor I do it again I would use thick paper, as in water colour paper. You wouldn't have to save all those rolls but I had a stock that I'd saved and it was about minimum cost. I hope this helps.