What can take mold off of my porch ceiling?

+20
My ceiling on the front porch has mold. I have tried ServPro and JoMax but they didn't work. How can I get the mold off? I don't want to kill my plants next to the porch.
q what can take mold off my porch ceiling , cleaning tips, outdoors cleaning, porches, My ceiling on the front porch has mold I don t want to kill my plants next to porch ServPro couldn t JoMax didn t work I have a stain on house wall that I would like to keep What can I do to take the mold off
My ceiling on the front porch has mold . I don't want to kill my plants next to porch. ServPro couldn't , JoMax didn't work. I have a stain on house wall that I would like to keep. What can I do to take the mold off ?
q what can take mold off my porch ceiling , cleaning tips, outdoors cleaning, porches, Shows the porch and stain on outside of house wall
Shows the porch and stain on outside of house wall.
  • Debi53 Debi53 on Sep 06, 2016
    Are you sure it's mold and not mildew? If it's mold, you need to treat the source and not just the surface. If it's mildew, here is a link to a new product that was featured on the DIY network. http://www.wetandforget.com/product_wet_and_f...
    • Cbone Magnifico Cbone Magnifico on Apr 30, 2019

Mold and Mildew are the same thing. Mildew is simply scientific nomenclature that has seemed to confuse lay people. Further, you still need to treat the source of mildew too.

• Janet Pizaro Janet Pizaro on Sep 06, 2016
    Wet and forget is definitely the way to go.Available at Home Depot in the paint department.
  • Donna Donna on Sep 06, 2016
    I use Clorox Outdoor Bleach in a pump sprayer....a little scrubbing with a long handled brush might be called for in some cases. The outdoor bleach does not harm any vegetation, nor does it harm the surface of the wood like chlorine bleach does. I mix a few drops of liquid dish detergent in with the water/bleach solution to help it adhere to the surface better. Rinse off well after it does it's job.
    • TMP TMP on Sep 06, 2016
      This does work really well. Just be sure to brush clear poly on the ceiling once the wood has dried. That will keep the mold from coming back.
  • Janice Smith Janice Smith on Sep 06, 2016
    Hydrogen peroxide mixed with water in a pump sprayer, let it work for a few minutes the scrub with a long handled brush. you could have some pure peroxide to pour on your brush for stubborn spots just in case, peroxide is fairly cheap too, If you have access to a power washer it would be great help to you, you wouldn't have to scrub with a brush as much and you can use the peroxide mix in it too. Good luck, I hope you can get rid or it.
  • Beverly Beamon Beverly Beamon on Sep 06, 2016
    I agree with Donna and Janice.
  • Estelle Estelle on Sep 06, 2016
    One word: Vinegar
  • Dot Dot on Sep 06, 2016
    Clorox kills mold.
  • Kay Ridley Kay Ridley on Sep 06, 2016
    Clorox works great and also takes mold off log homes that get snow built up around them. We have used it for years.
  • Cindy Hagemann Cindy Hagemann on Sep 06, 2016
    Have you tried pressure washing it before spraying bleach?
  • Lisa Falkenthal Lisa Falkenthal on Sep 06, 2016
    Whatever you use to clean it (possibly wet and forget), I would consider painting it with mold fighting paint.
  • B. Enne B. Enne on Sep 06, 2016
    Concrobium works well to remove and repel it...won't damage wood or plants like bleach or vinegar can. http://concrobium.com/en-can/ http://concrobium.com/about-us/
  • Kim Kim on Sep 07, 2016
    Spray bottle of vinegar will remove it with out wiping and will diminish moldy regrowth. I have never found vinegar to damage anything I've sprayed it on !!
  • Ag Castor Ag Castor on Sep 07, 2016
    We fixed this with a bucket of 1/2 bleach and 1/2 water and a clean sponge floor mop. It will drop some, so wear gloves and clothes you won't mind getting bleach on. When it's done, consider painting the ceiling with marine anti fouling paint -- it comes in a bazillion colors and has kept ours clean for three years so far.
    • See 1 previous
    • B. Enne B. Enne on Sep 11, 2016
      I was told a similar thing by a house cleaner, and I noticed that when I cleaned the shower with it, I had to do it more often if it was too strong.
  • Ksg8774293 Ksg8774293 on Sep 07, 2016
    Hydrogen peroxide in a spray bottle will kill it, then paint. May have to spray a few times, brush off before painting.
  • Ag Castor Ag Castor on Sep 11, 2016
    This defies everything I know about the biology of how sodium hypochlorite (the active ingredient in bleach) works. Whatever, it has killed the mold on our ceiling and that's good enough for me!πŸ’¦πŸ’¦πŸ˜œπŸ’¦πŸ’¦
  • Joan Davis Joan Davis on Sep 17, 2016
    The porch ceiling had been painted with Sikkens preservative three times when we built the house eight years ago. The mold was on the Sikkens and needed to be sanded but the sikkens and mold gummed on the sand paper. We are having the wood replaced and are happy with our decision so far.