DIY Fall Flannel Shirt Pillow

I wanted to add some fall color to our outdoor bench and decided that making a pillow out of a man's flannel shirt would be a creative, colorful, and thrifty way to add some color and texture to our fall decor. I purchased the shirt on half price day at the thrift store, and if it gets too much sun or moisture, it won't break the bank.
diy fall flannel shirt pillow, crafts, how to, outdoor furniture, seasonal holiday decor, reupholster
It turned out super cute, and it only took about minutes to make. I was happy to find a plaid to looked like a shirt that a scare crow would wear!!!
The first thing I did was wash and dry it so it would be fresh and clean. After I washed and dried it, I ironed it. Then I sewed down the button placket so it wouldn't gap open after the pillow was stuffed.
I removed the pocket because I wanted to reposition it when the shirt became a pillow.
The size of the pillow depends on the size of the shirt. I bought a large one so there would be more fabric to work with. I wanted a rectangle, and my pillow measures about 20 inches by 16 inches. After I cut out the front, I used the back of the shirt to cut out the back of the pillow.
Then I placed the pocket where I wanted it and sewed it down.
Next I sewed the front and the back together and made sure I matched the plaids. I also left a five inch opening on the side for the stuffing. If you want to know how to make a thrifty pillow using designer fabric and a pillow form, please visit this link on our blog: http://the2seasons.com/2015/03/10/diy-custom-throw-pillows-cheap/
I ironed the fabric once again, and then I stuffed the pillow and sewed the opening closed. Then I cut out a little pocket square and placed it in the pillow. After all, a respectable shirt pillow needs a pocket square.
I have also made a few fall pillows out of men's plaid sports coats, and they are very cute. You can see them here: http://the2seasons.com/2012/10/16/make-your-own-r-lauren-pillows/

• Flannel shirt  (Thrift store)
  • Pillow stuffing  (Craft store)

The 2 Seasons