DIY Fall Flannel Shirt Pillow

180K Views
I wanted to add some fall color to our outdoor bench and decided that making a pillow out of a man's flannel shirt would be a creative, colorful, and thrifty way to add some color and texture to our fall decor. I purchased the shirt on half price day at the thrift store, and if it gets too much sun or moisture, it won't break the bank.
  • diy fall flannel shirt pillow, crafts, how to, outdoor furniture, seasonal holiday decor, reupholster
It turned out super cute, and it only took about minutes to make. I was happy to find a plaid to looked like a shirt that a scare crow would wear!!!
The first thing I did was wash and dry it so it would be fresh and clean. After I washed and dried it, I ironed it. Then I sewed down the button placket so it wouldn't gap open after the pillow was stuffed.
I removed the pocket because I wanted to reposition it when the shirt became a pillow.
The size of the pillow depends on the size of the shirt. I bought a large one so there would be more fabric to work with. I wanted a rectangle, and my pillow measures about 20 inches by 16 inches. After I cut out the front, I used the back of the shirt to cut out the back of the pillow.
Then I placed the pocket where I wanted it and sewed it down.
Next I sewed the front and the back together and made sure I matched the plaids. I also left a five inch opening on the side for the stuffing. If you want to know how to make a thrifty pillow using designer fabric and a pillow form, please visit this link on our blog: http://the2seasons.com/2015/03/10/diy-custom-throw-pillows-cheap/
I ironed the fabric once again, and then I stuffed the pillow and sewed the opening closed. Then I cut out a little pocket square and placed it in the pillow. After all, a respectable shirt pillow needs a pocket square.
I have also made a few fall pillows out of men's plaid sports coats, and they are very cute. You can see them here: http://the2seasons.com/2012/10/16/make-your-own-r-lauren-pillows/

Suggested materials for this project:

• Flannel shirt  (Thrift store)
  • Pillow stuffing  (Craft store)
The 2 Seasons

Ask a Question