Pinspired to DIY
Pinspired to DIY
  • Loomis, CA

DIY Extra Long Outdoor Wood Bench

Last year for my 40th birthday, I built myself an extra long outdoor dining table. I wanted a long table that would fit all of my family when we have celebrations on our back deck. The table I built was 9 feet long and sits 10 to 12 people, you can view the table here: http://www.pinspirationmommy.com/diy-large-outdoor-dining-table/
diy extra long outdoor wood bench, outdoor furniture, woodworking projects
But, the one thing I hadn’t designed or built yet were benches to match the table. We had been using folding chairs anytime we had guests over, and I hated how that looked! So, after a YEAR, I finally had a chance to design and build a bench that perfectly matches my table in design and length!
I only had time this past weekend to build one bench, the bench for the other side will have to be postponed to another weekend, but here are the abbreviated plans to build the bench (full plans and instructions can be found on my blog at the link below):
To build this bench, you will need nine 2" x 4" @ 10' each.
First, you'll cut the wood to assemble the three bench legs.
Using a miter saw, cut each of the wood pieces that comprise the legs.
diy extra long outdoor wood bench, outdoor furniture, woodworking projects, 2x4s cut to build 2 of the 3 bench legs
2x4s cut to build 2 of the 3 bench legs
Use wood glue and 2 1/2" exterior wood screws to assemble all the pieces (use a countersink drill bit to pre-drill all holes first).
Then cut the four 2x4 boards to create the diamond design in the center of the bench legs (this matches the design on the table). Attach the boards to create the diamond using wood glue and 2 1/2" exterior wood screws.
Next, cut the boards to build the top of the bench seat. Cut four 2x4 boards to size. Drill pocket holes in three of the four boards, and attach together using wood glue and 2 1/2" exterior pocket hole screws.
Now, build the frame. Cut the six 2x4 boards needed for the outer frame, drill 1 1/2" pocket holes and attach to the legs using wood glue and 2 1/2" pocket hole screws.
Next, add the frame cross boards. Cut the 8 2x4 boards to size, drill pocket holes and attach to front and back sides of the frame.
Next add the bottom support board. Drill pocket holes in each end of the two boards that create the support for the bottom of the bench and attach to the legs using pocket hole screws and wood glue.
Next, center the frame onto the underside of the bench seat top. Drill several holes along the length of both sides of the frame using a countersink bit. Attach the frame to the bench top using 2 1/2" exterior wood screws.
Lastly, measure and cut the cross member boards to keep the bench from swaying. Cut the correct angles at each end and attach to the bottom support board and to the bottom of the bench top with wood glue and exterior wood screws.
Now, fill all visible holes with wood filler and let dry. Once dry, sand the bench and then stain with Minwax Dark Walnut. After the stain has dried, follow up with three coats of exterior Spar Urethane. Once dry, enjoy seating up to five people on your new beautiful outdoor bench! :-)
For more pictures and detailed instructions, please visit my blog at the link below. Thanks!

• 2x4 boards  (Home Depot)
Pinspired to DIY

• Keisha Gardner

I would LOVE, LOVE, LOVE to have this in my backyard for my family...would you consider making and selling one?

• Pinspired to DIY

Hi Keisha, sorry I just saw this question on here, missed it when it first came through! I would definitely consider making and selling one, I would just need to figure out how to ship something that large. If you send me an email at admin@pinspirationmommy.com I'd be happy to work with you. Thanks!

• Becky Partain

AWESOME!!! You did a wonderful job. I want a table about that size for dining room. You do beautiful work. Thanks for sharing.

• The13363824

Great job!! I like a good solid, wooden picnic table. I would store it and take care of it. I've lost a couple good tables and benches to the weather. NOW!! I have a shed to store ALL my lawn furniture. :)))