Make an Industrial Light Fixture From Skewers

$21

While looking for a light fixture for above my desk, I was shocked at the prices I was seeing online: $200 to $300 for a simple light fixture I knew I could make! So I went to Home Depot and the craft store and got an antique looking hanging pendant for $14 and then $7 dollars worth of craft supplies and made this gorgeous industrial light fixture to hang.
Step 1: Gather your materials
I used a hanging pendant socket, air dry clay, BBQ skewers, and some gold spray paint.
Step 2: Roll some clay balls
I rolled out a bunch of balls, more than I thought I needed but I didn’t plan a design so I figured it’s better safe than sorry.
Step 3: Make a horseshoe shape for the hanger
I made this horseshoe shaped piece to act as the yoke of the light.
I forgot to show in the video that I slipped the horseshoe part over the top of the socket to make sure its gap was large enough to fit the cord through but small enough that once it was resting on the socket, it wouldn’t slip off.
Step 4: Build your frame
I just started connecting the pieces haphazardly, but still making sure the frame was sturdy.
Every now and then I needed to cut some of the skewers short to fit into the design.
I found that the fixture looks much more pleasing if the two sides are about equally built up. When I first started building it, the right side stuck out more than the left and it looked lopsided to me.
Here it is almost done.
Step 5: Spray paint
I originally was going to spray paint it a copper color, but after I found this antique looking lighting kit, I decided to make the frame a matching gold.
It's so lovely now that I can’t believe how cheap and easy it was to make!

• Air-dry clay
  • Wooden skewers
  • Spray paint

18 Ideas to Keep You From Feeling Blue
31 Astounding Things You Didn't Know You Could Do With Contact Paper
3 Cute Step-by-Step Ideas For Unique Planters