Thrifty DIY Farmhouse-Style Sign

Creating a rustic farmhouse-style sign is easier than you think, with a little help from the thrift store!
Find all the details and materials used in my full tutorial here!
When I spied this beat up (and, admittedly, a little gross) wooden cutting board at the thrift store, I snapped it up immediately. I have been wanting to create a primitive little sign for our kitchen. Besides, it was only $0.60- can't beat that price, right?
Old cutting boards are PERFECT for making DIY signs, which are so hot and trendy right now. First, I removed a layer or two of its previous life before giving it a rich stain that would look rustic, weathered and wonderfully farmhouse-y.
I love how the board looks now- those knife scars give it a really weathered look! Next, I used an awesome vinyl stencil to transform the cutting board into a sign for our kitchen. ( Check out my full tutorial for all the DIY details and secret tricks! )
After ensuring it would hang securely, I added a couple of hooks for our coffee cups! How cute is that? It's warm and cozy, and just looks perfect in our kitchen. Pumpkin spice latte, anyone?

• Cutting Board  (thrift store)
  • Stain  (Home improvement store)

Sadie Seasongoods

• Jeanne

What keeps your vinyl letters from peeling off the wood? Did you seal it with a varnish?

• Carol Harris

what kind of brush did you use to paint the stencil, and how did you apply the paint? I've not had much luck with stenciling. thank you

• Sue Knutson

Do you have any ideas for those old knife blocks in your picture? I have several but no ideas on how to repurpose them...

• Alm9763515

Use them as cookbook, or any book stand. Glue or screw a piece of wood over the very bottom row of knife slots. It should protrude out about an inch to prevent the book from sliding off.

• Jeanie

This is so neat. I'll look for a board at the good-will store, and try making one.
    Thanks for the inspiration.
  • Diane McGee Raezer

I Made one also , I Love it , The cutting board was a gift from my best friend many years ago, She pasted away , And I wanted to make something from it that reminded me of her. I Painted mine , And it turned out perfect.