Craft an Autumn Sunflower Door Hanger

$15

Who doesn't love a nice floral door hanger at the entrance of their home? With fall around the corner, I thought I would put together a sunflower and fall feelin' piece to decorate the entrance of my friend's house. To make it a little more interesting I attached all the floral elements to a LED lit branch. This project can be done super cheap with most flowers and attachments being purchased from the dollar store.
SUPPLIES: -Variety of fall foliage -LED lit branch -Scissors -Floral Wire -Floral Tape -Door Hanger
STEP 1: Pull all the flowers apart so they are individual pieces versus grouped into bunches.

STEP 2: Unwind your LED branch and spread out the twiggy parts so they stick out from the sides.
STEP 3: Arrange your background floral elements over the LED branch. For the background flowers, it is smart to use smaller flowers and grassy/twiggy pieces. You will be making 3 different clusters of flowers down the LED branch with the largest at the top. Make sure to just arrange one big cluster toward the top of the branch at this point.
STEP 4: Take your floral tape and wrap the stems of the background flowers and twigs to the LED branch. Trim any excess stems away from the piece.
STEP 5: Bend the stems of your sunflowers (or the variety of your choice) so that the flower sits flat over the background flowers and place it where you want. Wrap the wire stem around the LED branch to hold it in place. You can also tape the stem down to give it extra security.
STEP 6: Fill in any empty spaces by feeding extra small flowers behind your main flowers and secure them in place on the branch.
STEP 7: As mentioned before you will be making 3 clusters down the length of the branch. For the second cluster move down a good 6-8 inches and repeat all the steps done above, but making a smaller cluster of flowers. This will be the middle cluster so it will be a medium sized cluster. Once you are done move another 6-8 inches down and do a smaller cluster. For instance, for the top cluster, I used 7-8 sunflowers then, for the middle cluster I used 4-5 and then the bottom one I used 3.
STEP 8: Bend the top of your LED branch over so that it has a nice "hook" to hang the hanger from. Using a door hanger, a nail or screw or even a sticky hanger hang your floral arrangement on the door of your choice.
I love that this thing looks great whether lit or not.
Since I live in an apartment my front door is a fire safe door and I can't fit a door hanger on it so I just hung it inside for some pictures. I plan on giving it to a friend who has a beautiful red front door. Can't wait to see it where it can truly shine.
As you can see it looks pretty great against any color!
Because all of the flowers are simply twisted or taped to the branch you can remove them and switch them out with spring / winter themed items as well and change it up each season!

I hope you enjoyed this cute autumn craft project. For more craft ideas, check out the DIY crafts for home category to spruce up your home!

• Helen Casey Donelson

I have purchased numerous LED items and find they only stay lit for an hour or two before the batteries run out. Any suggestions?

• Marion james

They also have the ones you can change the batteries I have the ones that use AA batteries you can fine them at dollar tree or craft stores they look so nice.

• Joyce Krueger

Love your idea. Wish I could buy one from you. Jkrueger358@comcast.net

• Mamabear318

How about a "command hook" to hang it on the door.
    • 16999903

Amanda.....this looks fabulous! I'm not a big fan of door wreaths, but I love how you arranged as more of a spay of flowers with the lights. I might give this one a try. (DIY projects piling up!)