Patricia
Patricia
  • Lebanon, OH

Handmade Furniture Appliques

I bought this bed at a yard sale 10 or 15 years ago for about $5. I was on a really tight budget at the time, so it was the best I could afford! It was brown at the time and I painted it white to give it a more feminine look for my daughter’s room. Well time marches on and the bed had a lot of wear and tear, so I decided to give it a new look.
handmade furniture appliques, how to, painted furniture
As I mentioned it was one of my earlier projects. I originally applied a coat of primer and then painted it white with a glossy latex paint. But now to give it a new look I painted it in Antoinette Pink chalk paint. Because I was using chalk paint it didn’t require a primer.
I applied clear wax to seal the paint and then applied white wax to gently soften the color of the pink.
I thought it still needed something more, so I decided to make a furniture applique using paperclay. A fellow Hometalker recommended paperclay to me and I couldn’t wait to try it out!
I kneaded the clay and then pressed it into a mould and smoothed out the surface before releasing it from the mould. (I made two for this project). It waited about 24 hours for it to dry completely and then painted it white and sealed it with soft clear wax.
I attached the appliques with E6000 glue to the headboard and footboard.
Now it has a fresh new look which I think is darling for a little girl’s room!
This post includes the basic steps for this project, but if you’d like more details and photos, I’d like to personally invite you to stop by my blog.

• Annie Sloan Chalk Paint, clear and white wax
  • Paperclay and moulds
  • E6000 craft glue
Patricia

• Lad4785456

Paper clay ?? What's that and where can I buy the mould you used

• Patricia

I bought the clay and moulds on Amazon. There's a link on my blog or you can type in what you're looking for in Amazon's search bar.