Mobile Heartache to Mobile Home!

Four years ago, we moved into a 20-year-old mobile home on a farm. Being a city girl, I was at a loss with what to do with this place that had sat empty for 2 years and was being reclaimed by the critters and insects that inhabited the land. The kitchen was particularly daunting as you can see. It took me 3 years and testing the waters in all the other rooms before I could even figure out where to start
This is what we moved in to.
This is what we moved in to.
Floors: The linoleum was staining and turning purple. If you set a chair in one place for a day and moved it there would be four deep purple squares in its place. I knew we had to do something about the flooring .
I went to my local home renovation store and tried to find the cheapest alternative. Mobile homes shift depending on the weather so the industrial vinyl tiles I found fit our need perfectly. It was so easy. I pulled off the old lino that was only glued down on the edges and laid out the tiles. It only took a few hours and cutting them was a breeze. Cost: $260
Notice the backsplash is missing. Hammer + Ugly Tiles = Fun!
mobile heartache to mobile home , home decor, kitchen design
Painting: The next step was painting the cupboards. A good cleaning with TSP, a base coat of Kilz primer and then 2 coats of Behr paint in "Papier Blanc". We took countertops off as I planned to replace them.
I took down the old trim around the windows and used 1X3" pre-primed trim to trim them all out. I did square cuts instead of a mitre cut as I'm concerned with the shifting it will just crack the corners of the mitre.
And this is where I came to a stand still. I do not like painting. I'll do it but I'd rather use power tools and build things. Luckily I have a sister!
My sister flew out and started painting everything from the dining area to the other end of the mobile home in a taupe colour. She is a painting whiz, in the meantime, I worked on the mosaic backsplash. Note the cupboards are all done and the old hardware replaced. I liked the rustic look of it and saved tons of money by not replacing it.
Island: I removed the old island top and stained and used 7 coats of Varathan on a pre-cut bamboo butcher block top. I have no intention of cutting on it without a cutting board so felt this was the best way to protect it. This is the only place I feel I'd do something different as water droplets on the Varathan cloud up. So far they have disappeared but if the water sat for hours I'm worried it may not.
I did go to our local Habitat for Humanity Restore and pickup drawer sliders for $2 a set and made pull out drawers for the island. It makes organizing and accessing the things we keep under the island so much easier!
Countertops: We went to Ikea and picked up two inexpensive counters in a black speckle. With the help of my hubby, the cutting and installation of a new tap were a breeze. We kept the old sink.
Pantry & Storage: The pantry got a header and footer put in for the barn door I had planned for it and more shelving was added so I could store more items.
The useless shelves around the corner became my baking cupboard and holds all my mixers, food processors and other cooking items that nobody else is allowed to touch!
We have an old corral area that had a wood fence surrounding it for countless years. Whoever put it in had those boards screwed in top and bottom with three screws on each side. I'm so glad they did because it gave me perfectly weathered, completely unwarped boards to make my doors out of! I figured it out as I went along as I have never built doors like this.
Lighting: Luckily my husband has skills. We replaced an old ceiling fan and ugly track lighting with 3 lovely pendant lights!
What happened to the dining room? We decided we didn't need it. We weren't using it and the island seating has become a favourite place for us to sit and talk. We turned the dining room into what we call "Goat TV". We have a lovely sitting area in which to share time and look out at our farm animals. Spring with 4 new kids was particularly fun!
The closet by the door became my mini mud room. I used white tiles on the bottom shelf to hold shoes, put a couple of bins in to hold gloves and such, and there is a key tray and somewhere to hang jackets.
I'm so glad we tackled these projects. I finished painting the beam that goes through the middle of the house a few nights ago. Just in time to find out that we need to sell the house as we have a great opportunity in another Province.
I really hope I make another farm wife's day when she walks in and sees her nice new kitchen!
Estimated total cost: $2500 and about 6 months.

• Lucia Dodson

Love what you did to your mobile home. A few years ago, I purchased a used mobile home that required some major work. However, I'm having trouble finding the materials (for examples: doors, windows, cabinets, etc.) that fit in a mobile home. I’ve checked Lowes, Home Depot even Amazon and had no luck.

Everything I purchase, I am having to return it back to the store, because it not material made to not to be used or for replacing in a mobile home. It's so frustrating, that I wish I would never have bought a mobile home.

Would you be able to the suggestion a place where someone can purchase material to use to remodel mobile homes? Any information you can share would be very helpful.

• Barbara

Find a mobile home supply store in your area or look online for mobile home supplies. They carry the exact sizes yo y need to replace and repair mobile home components.

• Marilyn Tate Houser

My kitchen cabinet have paper over ( i am going to say ) Presswood. Can I paint them like you did yours?

• Onwingandhoof

Mine too were the papered press board. I removed all the doors and hardware. I painted everything in the Rust-oleaum linen white chalk paint. This was a good paint because there was no sanding to prep. I did fill and sand all the holes where the old hardware was. Then put in the new hardware just above where the old hinges were. I wanted a farmhouse look so I used a wet cloth to make 'wear' on the edges. I finished everything with General Finishes top coat flat out flat to seal it all.

• Candice

Can you tell me the dimensions of your closet by the door? It's such a great way to organize the clutter of coming and going. I would love to build something similar in the mobile home I'm renovating.

• Teresa

You did a fantastic job!! The fact that you casually mentioned having to sell your gem after just finishing it tells me that a good amount of the joy is in the doing! You will definitely make some one else very happy! It is a beautiful home! Good luck on your next adventure!

• Beth Gold Roccia
    31 minutes ago

This is so awesome! We have a mobile home also, and jt needed a lot of updating. We have two rooms and a bathroom left to paint, and we're having the rugs replaced with hardwood flooring. It was probably good looking back in the 80's as everything in it was gold. Slowly replacing everything with gold to nickle. We have a huge kitchen and the top doors were gold etched. We scraped it off anx everything is now painted, even the glass doors. I stenciled the glass and sealing it with a sealer. We even painted the island. I love what you did with your island! I also love the entry storage you made! You did a great job! You're so right about the floors, as the contractor is sick, we're waiting on the trim. He said it would look great after its done because the mobile home does shift.

Great job and great ideas!!