Shabby Chic Display Shelf Makeover

Who has an old display or knick knack shelf laying around that needs new life? Here is what I recently did with one I had collecting dust! I just love how it turned out!
shabby chic display shelf makeover, painted furniture, rustic furniture, shabby chic, shelving ideas
Here is the dusty display shelf before I got out my husband's Dremel Multi-Max Oscillating Tool Kit Sanding Attachment to sand it. After you use a tool like this, you will vow to never hand sand another project ever again!
I had some satin white heirloom rustoleum spray paint I used to cover it after I initially sanded it. After a smooth coat of pain, I got out the Dremel multi-tool again - this time with 120 grain sandpaper and distressed the shelf with the sanding tool. It is way fun when you are using the Dremel - so be careful to not over-sand ;) I went over all of the edges with the sander and made a few nicks and scrapes just enough to make it look old and antique.
I had some hydrangeas that just turned green (when you know they are ready to be cut and dry out and not wilt) and I used that green in the color scheme of the newly decorated guest room.
I had a teal throw pillow that I wanted to use that color as well - so I got a second of the same throw pillow cover just for the material to match in the updated display shelf.
I made four of those to display, rather than just outdated knick knacks. It really brightens up the room - and the display shelf looks TOTALLY different!!!
GO HERE to see the picture of it hanging in my guest room!
I'm having a blast updating old furniture in my guest room - the bed is next! I cant' wait to post pictures of what I did with an old desk in the same room!

• Display shelf  (thrift store)
  • Spray paint  (http://amzn.to/2ccOMr6)
  • Dremel sanding tool  (http://amzn.to/2d0Pg0p)
Maura White