Vintage Inspired Storage

If you’re looking for a cute way to organize your home, Lisa from Recreated Designs has some great tips! Come see how she turned some old tin cans into these vintage inspired organizers for her hardware with Simplicity, Cranberry sauce, Image Transfer Medium, and Tough Coat.
Last month, when a neighbour was giving away these plain, white tin cans that she had recycled, I snatched them up. I have been wanting (ok needing!) to find a way to sort and store all of the hardware in my work area for awhile now and thought they would be the perfect solution.
The tins were a blank slate and I loved that! I wanted them to have a vintagy look to them so began by free-hand painting some grain sack type stripes. I used the All-in-One Decor Paint in Cranberry Sauce, for the stripes on the tops and bottoms of each can.
I love that the stripes came out very blotchy and uneven. They have the feel of watercolour paint lines to me and I find that so pretty.
In contrast to the lines, I wanted the tin labels to be crisp and clean (not hand painted). The Image Transfer Medium provided the perfect solution.
I printed off the words I would need and cut them out. Make sure the words are printed backwards (they can be flipped/revered in most editing programs) so that when they are applied they will turn out the right way.
I liberally applied some of the Image Transfer Medium over each word and “stuck” it to the tin where I wanted it to be. Once the paper was applied, I let them dry just over 24 hours.
When I came back to the tins the next day, I wet the pieces of paper and began to gently rub in circles moving towards the edges. The paper began to ball up and eventually only the word was left in the centre of the tin.
Once all of the paper was removed, I painted on a layer of Tough Coat to seal and protect both the paint and transfer.
The crisp black words turned out to be the perfect contrast to the hand painted, vintagy red lines.
These simple recycled tins now provide me with great storage while looking so pretty sitting up on the shelf.

• All-in-One Decor Paint  (Country Chic Paint)
  • Image Transfer Medium  (Country Chic Paint)
  • Tough Coat  (Country Chic Paint)

To see more: http://blog.countrychicpaint.com