Ashley Harding
Ashley Harding
  • Chicago, IL

Blue & White Bathroom Makeover

It is almost bittersweet that I write this post today, as it wraps up the final bathroom renovation reveal for our lakehouse. However, considering we have now been in this home for over three years, I guess I should just get on with it already! In case you missed the other bathroom renovations, make sure you catch up on the downstairs bathroom, powder room and guest bathroom.
If you remember back to my Master Bedroom reveal, our room is the smallest bedroom in the house. When it came to choosing a bathroom, we kept the trend going and picked the smaller of the two upstairs bathrooms. Given the layout of the house, it just seemed to make the most sense. Our room is tucked away in the back corner of the house, offering the most privacy. And truthfully, I'm not one to spend hours in front of the mirror getting ready, so my bathroom use is pretty minimal. But, what it may lack in size, it makes up for in personality!
But before we get too far, let's take it back to where it all began with some Before pictures.
blue white bathroom makeover, bathroom ideas, home decor, home improvement
The one thing this bathroom had going for itself was that it worked...something that could not be said about a couple other of the bathrooms. So, we were off on a positive note there! Initially I think this was probably the key factor that deemed this the master bathroom. However, it didn't remain a functioning bathroom for long, as we quickly demoed the entire room. Once the room was cleared out, it was easier to start envisioning how I wanted to piece it back together.
Here is the scope of work...
Replace flooring
New vanity
New toilet
New bathtub
Create custom bathtub panel
Add subway tile in shower
New shower and sink fixtures
Update electrical and light fixtures
Remove basebaord heating
New trim
Replace door
Install wallpaper
I think that covers everything. In general, we kept all major items in the same location, but just gave it a much needed facelift, swapping out honey oak and brown decor for bright white and fresh styling.
The end result...bright and cheery and of course...blue and white!
So, let's talk details. We'll start with the shower. In general I wanted to maintain a classic, timeless look. I don't think you can get much more classic than your traditional subway tile, especially when you pair it with dark grout. We tiled the shower all the way to the ceiling which helps to elongate the space, making it feel larger.
Although we just purchased your standard bathtub, we gave it a custom feel by building a panel on front, giving it a built-in, high end look. You can read all the details on that here. It's a small upgrade that really makes a big impact on the overall space.
We really tried to keep the bathrooms as uniform as possible. I think the hardest part of renovations is sometimes settling on a decision and sticking to it. The choices are overwhelming. There are so many cool fixtures and faucets, that it's hard to commit to just one thing. Luckily, four toilets later, I'm still loving the Memoirs collection by Kohler. Maybe I'm a bit biased, but I think it's a good looking toilet if I do say so myself!
We also kept the vanity faucet consistent throughout the bathrooms, however this vanity was a single hole style opposed to the three hole style of the other vanities.
We kept it budget friendly when shopping for vanities and purchased ours from none other than Ikea. Given the price, I have absolutely no complaints...soft close drawers, ample storage space and a sleek design.
I did swap out the knobs for a glass cut style to glam it up a bit.
Overall, it's just a fresh, clean look.
For more details, including a source list, visit http://www.vintagerefined.com/blog/2016/9/9/master-bathroom-renovation-reveal
Ashley Harding

• Evb7038123

You removed the baseboard heat so I wonder how do you keep the bathroom heated?

• Ashley Harding

We actually updated the HVAC system in the entire house. That was a whole other project! :)

• Mim

Can you use liquid nails to glue the trip to the edge of a toilet , sink or tub to give it a custom look? Will it stay fixed due to shower steam and routine cleaning?

• Mim

So if i buy the white molding at Lowes i can use grout to fasten it to the top of the toilet lid or side od the tub?

• Paulina Soria
    14 hours ago

isn't it difficult to reach the paper roll? I mean, since you move it and its now far from the toilet :D

• Wanday

Love! Love! Love!

• Laura Salvatore
    30 minutes ago

This looks great! Super fresh, but not "trendy". I would be able to give with this for a long time. Changing it up with different colored towels would be fun just for something new every so often. Great job!