Easy Scented Jack O Lantern Tea Lights

I’ve never been a huge fan of scary Halloween decorations. Orange isn’t my favorite color and being scared isn’t my favorite thing. So, I tend to decorate with fall themed items rather than going the scary-witchy route. But I really do love the smell of citrus and allspice. So I found a way to combine the Halloween “scary-ness” with the natural scents of oranges and spice.
For this project I used navel oranges, whole allspice, tea lights and a cookie cutter.
Begin by cutting a “lid” from the orange about 3/4″ from the top.
Use a cookie cutter to cut an opening in the lid.
Scoop out the inside of the orange.
Carve a fun Jack O Lantern face.
Add 2 tsp. of whole allspice into the bottom and push in a tea light candle.
Light the candle and soon your home will fill with the smells of citrus and allspice!
These little votives will last as long as the candle does and you can replace the candle several times before the orange finally gives out. Mine lasted about three days and then I put the rinds out for the birds to enjoy.
You could also use these little Jack O Lanterns as place settings on a Fall table scape. Wouldn’t that make the table look festive!
Or just line them up on the window and smile!
For more Fall and Halloween craft and home decor ideas, be sure to click on the link below!

Susan Myers

• Dori B

Love the idea and I want to make these. How long do they last? Can I make them early in the season, for early Oct birthday decorations? Will they still be good for Halloween?

• You could try soaking them in water before you set them out. There's something I read recently about making pumpkins last, but can't remember what it was. Maybe put a light coating of valine on the inside? The idea is to keep them hydrated but not moldy.